CA Endevor Software Change Manager Review

Enables us to know the exact source code associated with a given executable

What is our primary use case?

Software configuration management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has ensured that we can prove that what someone put into production is exactly what's in there.

It also puts all our source in one product. We know where to go to gather all our source code and which source is associated with which executable. It's a one-stop-shop, one place to go for everything.

The developers can very easily see what has changed on a particular piece of source code or a program, and others can look at that as well so they can coordinate their changes. It makes it much easier to promote a piece of code up to production.

Before implementing this solution, nobody knew where all the source code was. It was kept in individuals' own libraries. We couldn't know for sure that a piece of source was the same source that was the executable running in production. There was no real way to tell which source created which executable, and that was the case for all the executables in production. When we went to Endevor, it was very easy to say, "Okay, this piece of code created that executable." It made it much easier to know for sure what we had in production.

What is most valuable?

The biggest feature is that it protects the source and it associates the source with the executable.

Endevor footprinting and ship are also big features.

What needs improvement?

One feature of Endevor is its Backout feature. If there is a problem, it can back out the executables. The only problem with that is that it will not back out the source in Endevor. For example, you can do a back out and it will back out the executable to the previous version, but it doesn't back out the source version in Endevor. It would make it much better if when you did a back out of Endevor, it would back out both the source and the executable and keep them in sync. Right now, if you do a back out and you leave it out, you have to sync the source code back in Endevor. That can be a challenge.

More than five years.

I'd rate the stability a nine out of 10. Obviously, every software product has issues from time to time, but whenever we've had issues, we've been able to work with CA to resolve them. I haven't found an occasion where we had problems with the product and we couldn't rectify them, working with CA.

I'd would say scalability is, again, a nine out of 10. I haven't found that Endevor couldn't handle large amounts of software or large amounts of activity going through it. The scalability with Endevor has always been very good.

Tech support rates a nine out of 10. Any time we've had issues with Endevor, no matter which place I worked at, tech support has always been very knowledgeable, very helpful and, most of the time, we've been able to resolve problems very quickly.

I've used other products in the past, but they weren't as feature-rich as Endevor. They didn't have all the advantages that Endevor has for source code management. I haven't found a product yet that could compete with Endevor, as far as source code management is concerned.

The initial setup depends on the shop. Some instances it can be very straightforward to set up, while in another shop, depending on what type of source code they have or what type of procedures they have to get code into production, it can get complicated. I haven't seen anything that Endevor couldn't handle. I haven't found an issue anywhere where Endevor couldn't handle a piece of source code or the way a piece of source code is built.

When we did purchase Endevor, which was quite awhile ago, there were products such as Pandalay and Librarian, but they really didn't compare, apples to apples, with Endevor. Endevor could do so much more. Currently, there are other products out there, but I haven't been involved recently in comparing Endevor with these other tools. But back when we did get Endevor, it was by far the better tool, so it was an easy choice.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it as simple as possible. When you're implementing the product, any errors you make are only magnified as you go further down the line and keep on adding more and more applications to Endevor. My main advice would be, don't overthink the implementation. Try to make the implementation as simple and straightforward as possible and then build on that.

I've been using Endevor for many years, in many different shops, in many different situations. I've found Computer Associates to be very supportive. Their tech support is excellent. They constantly improve the product, which is great. They didn't just throw the product out there and then let it sit. They are constantly upgrading the product and making sure it is top-notch.

1 visitor found this review helpful