Cisco NGIPS Review

A solution with a lot of complexity but with excellent customer service

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to secure our client's networks.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it lacks user-friendliness. It could be easier to manage. I can train any customer using FortiGate or Palo Alto in a few days, but with Cisco, it takes much more time because the systems aren't easy to use.

It would be very nice to get rid of FlexConfig. It's a very unhelpful element of the solution.

One feature that is lacking is full interoperability with CLI.

You can configure Palo Alto and FortiGate with a graphical interface, and you can configure it with the command line. This is not so in Cisco. For professionals, this is important because the command line allows us to configure a lot of things and copy configurations and it's much easier.

I've been using the solution for 10 to 15 years.

Technical support is quite good. With firewalls, the last cases I had with Cisco were professionally handled quite quickly and it was great. I can compare with some other manufacturers. FortiGate is awful, for example. I'm generally pleased with Cisco.

The solution has a moderate amount of difficulty. You need to go over and use the documentation.

Cisco has a device manager now but this device manager is not like all device managers from ASA. It lacks a lot of features, and some of these features are very important. It makes it a challenge to configure because of the graphical interface. You have to install the management center and that itself takes time and it's not so simple.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Ten years ago, when you sold Cisco to clients, customers complained about the price but they knew they were buying the best product in the market. It is totally different now. If they want to buy the best product in the market, they buy Palo Alto or Check Point. Cisco is trying to catch up to the competition.

When we talk about just the IPS manufacturers, I would rate the solution around six or seven out of ten. If we're talking about Cisco as a whole, I would rate them eight out of ten.