Cisco NGIPS Overview

Cisco NGIPS is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System: Cisco NGIPS vs Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System

What is Cisco NGIPS?

Cisco Firepower NGIPS provides network visibility, threat intelligence, automation and industry leading threat effectiveness. Gartner has ranked Firepower NGIPS as a Magic Quadrant Leader for seven years running, and the independent NSS Labs testing organization consistently rates it as a “Recommended” IPS solution for eight years.

Cisco NGIPS is also known as Sourcefire NGIPS, Firepower NGIPS.

Cisco NGIPS Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco NGIPS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cisco NGIPS Customers

American Electric Power, Huntington Bank, Keycorp, Nationwide, Transunion, Marriott, Inova Health, Ford, Thomson Reuters, Dow Chemical, Equifax, Chevron, Walmart, Coca Cola

Cisco NGIPS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco NGIPS pricing:
  • "This is an expensive product, with the biggest cost being the license that keeps the service going."
  • "It is expensive. It has separate licensing for all the features, and every feature set seems to require another license. Licensing is on a yearly basis. There are no additional costs besides the standard licensing fee."
  • "The cost of the license depends on the level of support that you have with Cisco."
  • "The price for additional throughput is the highest in the industry."

KA
Manager IT Security at UnitedHealth Group
The anomaly baseline formation links the network, then anything that goes away from the norm is also flagged

What is our primary use case?

Basic IPS functionality for intrusion prevention. We have two kinds of deployment. The one that is Inline and the one that is not Inline, where it's just listening. We have like a tap to which its monitoring traffic. For the one that is kind of offline deployment but for the Inline deployment, all traffic goes through it, like for North-South traffic, towards internet to provide some real-time intrusion prevention.

• "Ir's signature-based. We are also using the anomaly baseline formation, where it links the network, then anything that goes away from the norm is also flagged. Those are the two most valuable features."
  • "It has room for improvement when it comes to integrating machine learning and AI into it where even if you don't have a baseline that is of length for anomaly detection, it could do more like an AI style machine learning. It learns on its own."

What other advice do I have?

Sourcefire wasn't originally Cisco and it was already a world leader and if I'm not mistaken or quoting wrongly, I think it's from the Snort project. I know the open-source community is still contributing to what Cisco is presenting with FirePower or FireSIGHT IPS. It's an open-source project. You can trust it because of the originality score and with what we've used so far too, I see the difference in the old version and this new one. You get better security compared to these other next-generation IPS out there. In the next release, I would like to see AI machine learning capabilities built…
MA
Associate Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Good intrusion prevention and easy to set up but the pricing is high

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network firewalling and intrusion prevention.

• "The solution gives us a lot of visibility into our security."
  • "The solution requires better management. When it comes to central management capabilities, improvements can be made."

What other advice do I have?

The advice we would give to other organizations is to look at the administrative overhead, and also to pay close attention to when the company is deploying it. We feel that there are certain feature functionalities that might not be mature depending on a company's use case. Everything depends on use cases. A company needs to evaluate its own unique use case, and look at the product feature functionality. A company also needs to look at some of the administrative overhead before they choose the product to make sure that it is suitable for their environment. This solution overall I would rate at…
Learn what your peers think about Cisco NGIPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AH
Network Infrastructure Program Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers valuable SSL decryption, URL filtering, and ITSM inspection features

• "Cisco is number one in the technical support. It's good technical support and this is actually a problem when we do the recruitment for some other products. Other products you are on hold forever and the support might be not the best compared to Cisco."
  • "The file trajectory, the trace in contamination files, could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is extensively used. We have a policy, from a permission security perspective, that you need to have diversity in the vendors and diversity in the products. We have some areas which are using these products and other areas which is using different products. It's a really good product, but you need to give it some time to form a sort of baseline, before enabling all the features. You need to study the product well because the product will decrease to around 35-40% of the actual product when you start to enable features. Like the application and inspection, the SSL decryption, the…
Ivan Radev
Network Security Consultant at Societe Generale Global Solution Centre
Boosts network security using inline IPS and passive IDS, and they have efficient technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and I am an engineer who deploys solutions. This is one of the products that I have experience with it in this capacity. The version that we use depends on the client. Some of our clients are ISPs and they are using the firewall features in this product to replace old firewalls. It is doing the regular firewall inspections, VPN concentration, and other such things. For other customers, who replaced Sourcefire, they use it primarily as an inline IPS and a passive IDS. These customers do not choose very many of the firewall features. Some customers use it for both… more »

• "The main advantages to Cisco are the scale, the integration, the training, and the possibility of finding somebody to work with."
  • "I think that some initiation scripts might be helpful because they would make the configuration easier and more user-friendly for customers."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing NGIPS is to get in touch with someone who can advise them because every network is different. Properly sizing the appliances is important. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
RK
Systems & Network Manager at Rocky View School Division
Works very well, very stable and scalable, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

It is our main firewall. We use it for reporting and for firewall purposes to block unwanted inputs and outputs.

• "Its ease of use and its ability to block and allow ports in and out of our organization are the most valuable features. It works very well. It gives us all the information that we need."
  • "We don't like its licensing model. It has separate licensing for all the features. For instance, to get URL filtering, you need to buy another license. Every feature set seems to require another license. Unless you purchase them all upfront, you find some surprises and realize that you can't do that because you need another license. Its logging isn't quite as good as it used to be in our previous solution. We used to have Cisco ASA, and we could view the logs a lot easier than NGIPS (also known as Firepower). We saw real-time logging, but we don't see that as much in Firepower."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure that the rest of their equipment is completely compatible with the newest Firepowers. I would rate Cisco NGIPS an eight out of ten. It gives us all the information that we need. We've got to dig for it sometimes, but it is a good product.
JA
Senior Network Security Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
Auto-scaling, powerful software fingerprint identification, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The NGIPS handles all of the IPS functionality for our security.

• "I think their fingerprints are good in terms of how they whitelist and blacklist."
  • "The only thing I think they may need to improve on a little bit is identifying software more correctly when you do network discovery."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Cisco NGIPS is to read and understand all of the documentation before you start. Whatever it is that you might need help with, reach out to Cisco support and let them help you. The documentation is available and it is very understandable so you may not need their help. I would say that if you take your time to read it then you shouldn't have any problems in deploying. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JM
CASO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great security intelligence will top notch technical support

What is our primary use case?

There are both options of cloud or on-premise solutions. I usually do the on-premise solution. We have others who do the cloud solution. If you want to deploy and protect your network from threats and protect your neighbor, that's one of the uses that we employ. With that, you have Security Intelligence, you have Intelligence, you have an Intrusion Prevention System. In the recent upgrade of Firepower, we have 3.0. You can use that to protect the internal network or if you want to protect your servers.

• "The security intelligence in the product is the best feature and give us all the information that we need in our network."
  • "The SSL decrypt could be improved, but it's normal. All the devices in our platform need a lot of memory or CPU to do the SSL decrypt. This is an issue to improve in all platforms, not only in Cisco."

What other advice do I have?

If they're looking for a platform that can protect from attack, from external or insiders who want to attack the network, I think Firepower is a good solution. With Security Intelligence, other security features make that platform an awesome platform. I would give Cisco NGIPS a rating of nine on a scale of ten. I think no one platform is perfect. I wouldn't give a 10 to a solution ever because 10 is 100%, and I think no one solution can 100% secure. Not because the platform is not working correctly. Because I think no one platform can be 10 by 10.
TariqueAshraf
Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company
A modular and easily managed solution, but throughput capacity is expensive and requires upgrading of hardware

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we resell this solution to our customers. This solution is for intrusion prevention, and the majority of deployments are on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its modularity, so whenever you need to upgrade or add another service, you don't need to buy another box."
  • "If there was a software-based solution for scaling up then it would be much better."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for IPS. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 15 more Cisco NGIPS Reviews