Cisco NGIPS Review

Good for filtering and very stable with the ability to scale easily

What is our primary use case?

We use it on the perimeter, for our infrastructure between our network and our bank's network.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very powerful coupled with Firepower. It's great for filtering.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is very expensive. They should make their equipment more affordable.

Cisco should offer better integration capabilities and offer an easier integration process.

We bought the solution a year ago, and finished setup a month ago.

This current solution is stable. Last time, we worked with Cisco ASA 6500. That solution sometimes froze and we had to reboot the system. This one, as I mentioned, seems fine. We don't have this problem.

The solution is very scalable, but the main issue surrounds the cost to do so. Scaling can be very expensive. Our network isn't too big. We have around 60 users.

Cisco offers very good technical support. I have no complaints about that.

We attended the Cisco training, as we always do. When we buy equipment from Cisco, they also give us learning credits. With those learning credits, it makes it easy to attend training. In terms of the knowledge they share surrounding the equipment, it's very good. We don't have a doubt about what to do.

The initial setup of NGIPS was fine. Firepower took the most time. We took about three months to deploy the solution.

You only need two people for deployment and maintenance.

We implemented the solution by ourselves. Last time, we worked with a company that deployed for us, but it turned out not to be necessary. We realized we can deploy by ourselves, and attend the training and support by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others thinking about implementing the solution is to make sure you have a solid knowledge of the network.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.