Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Review

Straightforward setup, easy to use, and very stable

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization in terms of management. We don't need to have too many resources when it comes to managing it, unlike previously, when we had the IPS. It was a nightmare trying to download the signatures, and uploading them, was also a nightmare. This solution makes life a lot easier. There's fewer man-hours required.

What is most valuable?

The solution is rather easy to use.

The signatures are uploaded and there's a set of recommended ones that we are using, which makes a lot easier than having to configure individual signatures together.

What needs improvement?

While the alerts they offer are good, it could improve it in the sense that they should be more detailed to make the alerts more useful to us in general. Sometimes the solution will offer up false positives. Due to the fact that the alerts aren't detailed, we have to go dig around to see why is it being blocked. The solution would be infinitely better if there was just a bit more detail in the alert information and logging we receive.

I've been working with the solution for a long time. It's been about five to six years at this point.

There are no bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't freeze. It doesn't crash. It's reliable. It's very stable.

In terms of scalability, I've not really had to look into it due to the fact that the devices we have are accurate for our purposes. I can't really say a lot about scalability because I've not had to. I'm sure they have got configurations where you can maybe put two or three together to scale it up if you need to.

We've only reached out to technical support once when we had to do an upgrade. The team at Cisco was very helpful. They were responsive and knowledgable. We were quite happy with the level of service we were provided.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very straightforward. We were able to handle it easily.

Deployment, in total, took about a week.

What other advice do I have?

We're just an end-user of the service. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

The hardware we're using is still old. We bought it when the product was not under Cisco. That said, obviously, Cisco has now updated the product with new hardware. However, we've still got the old hardware.

I would advise other organizations to go ahead and try the solution out. It's a good product. It's very straightforward and easy to implement especially when you compare it to other systems.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. If they offered better and more detailed alerts, I would rank them higher.

More Cisco Sourcefire SNORT reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Sourcefire SNORT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.