CloudBolt Review

We could easily modify our code during the evaluation and development phases and see the results in seconds.

What is most valuable?

CloudBolt's simple to understand framework allows current IT resources to easily automate the entire lifecycle of VM using predefined hook points. The way CloudBolt intuitively placed the ability to implement plugins, remote scripts, webhooks, or actions directly within the product is awesome! You can upload, use github (or http link), or just edit the code right inside the GUI. With CloudBolt we could easily modify our code during the evaluation and development phases and see the results in seconds.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability of our tier one and two teams to support CloudBolt was >80% on day 3. Tier III and Architects spent up to 40% of the project time supporting our previous cloud management platform; with CloudBolt we were able to reduce product support to less than 3% of work time spent.

What needs improvement?

Support for Active Directory groups, currently user management in CloudBolt groupsin managed individually. We had a previous access model that was based on AD groups, and allowed users to be able to use the product with their group membership, so no users were ever added directly to the provisioning system.

We have been using CloudBolt for about 6 months.

Deployment was seamless. We were able to integrate all existing workflows and actions rewritten in python into CloudBolt. Any issues we faced were quickly resolved with the assistance of CloudBolt support.

We found a few of the updates would cause our custom code to stop working the way we intended. A support ticket or simple change and this was easily resolved. We have not updated past 5.3.0.2.

We did find it was a bit challenging to scale horizontally behind a load balancer in an active/active configuration. This was the only case in which CloudBolt Support was slow to respond.

You can tell the CloudBolt staff loves what they do. Customer service is just amazing.

Blazing fast responses, usually within hours, and if they problem persisted they were readily available to jump on call or Webex to resolve the issue.

The Documentation is excellent and very short. You can read every bit in about an hour.

Yes, we previously used another cloud management system. This product offered excellent governance, but supporting of the all the components that are not seamlessly integrated required a lot of expertise and time to understand. On one occasion I remember spending 3-4 hours with support just looking for the right logs.

The CloudBolt ova was deployed in under 30 minutes, including importing all virtual servers from previous deployments. Within 3 days we had our production instance of CloudBolt achieve feature parity with our previous cloud management solution of 1.5 years.

We choose to implement CloudBolt in house, with assistance from a couple members of CloudBolt's team who provided guidance, coding support, and troubleshooting assistance along the way.

We were able to save enough from reduced support cost associated with maintaining and operating our previous cloud management platform within \months to pay for CloudBolt.

CloudBolt is license per server/container managed. Forecast your growth and purchase as much as you can upfront.

No other software was evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

We often said during our evaluation of CloudBolt that if our team of system administrators/engineers built a cloud management product in house, it would be look and feel like CloudBolt. In all aspects they kept it simple.