Cloudflare Review

Easy to manage with a good web application firewall, but the channel support system needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of CDN solutions and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

I also use Cloudflare for various websites. It is a content delivery platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the web application firewall.

The dashboard is very easy to use. It is simple to explain and a layperson can achieve good results.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

There should be a specific price list for enterprise-level customers.

Another problem with this product, as a reseller, is that your customer needs to give you access to all of the features before you can help them. This is different than with other vendors, where you have insight into the customer's contract. Unless the customer gives me access to their dashboard, I am totally blind and cannot really support them. The problem is that it makes it difficult to give them support. There should at least be a read-only view of the data so that resellers can properly support the clients.

Essentially, the dashboard is not well set up for resellers. Resellers need to have a dashboard view of all of their accounts.

I have been working with Cloudflare for about two years.

It has had some flaws in the past. For example, I think that they had two outages last year and they had a dashboard outage this year, but apart from these instances, it's quite stable.

The scalability is great. They're expanding and have enough resources worldwide.

Our customers are typically enterprise-level organizations.

The technical support team is very good and they know what they're doing.

I am also familiar with Akamai and Fastly. Cloudflare is easier to manage than the solutions provided by these vendors. The user experience is much more straightforward and appeals to a lot of developers.

Akamai, however, is the largest and most popular CDN. It's a very sturdy solution. They basically made this industry, 20 years ago, paving the way for newest vendors such as Cloudflare.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You need to know something about DNS domains and so forth, but if you're familiar with setting up a website then it's straightforward. The deployment takes about 15 minutes.

My customers generally have three or four in-house people to handle the deployment.

There seems to be no official pricelist for enterprise-level customers and it is more of a trial-and-error estimation. The cost primarily depends on the size of the organization.

We have some customers who cannot afford to have a downtime of an hour, so the customer has to choose. We give them other options, such as Akamai CDN, who provide a 100% SLA and they haven't failed in 17 years. That's a different clientele. Younger startups sometimes break things by pushing out new applications and they're used to having a more fragile environment.

What other advice do I have?

This product is well-developed and they are expanding into other spaces.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Cloudflare reviews from users