Cloudflare Overview

Cloudflare is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top CDN tools. It is most often compared to Imperva Incapsula: Cloudflare vs Imperva Incapsula

What is Cloudflare?

Cloudflare is the leading performance and security company helping to build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 9 million Internet applications. More than 10 trillion Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network each month, accounting for nearly 10% of all Internet requests globally.

Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with each new site added. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.

Download the DDoS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cloudflare Customers

Trusted by over 9,000,000 Internet Applications and APIs, including Nasdaq, Zendesk, Crunchbase, Steve Madden, OkCupid, Cisco, Quizlet, Discord and more.

Cloudflare Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cloudflare pricing:
  • "The cost primarily depends on the size of the organization."
  • "The price is reasonable."
  • "We don't have any issues with the price."

BW
VP/Director of IT
Robust, secure and innovative; technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be as an immediate wrapper-type security solution as opposed to other solutions which put an in-point monitor on a workstation. I'm the VP of our company and director of IT.

• "New and innovative way to protect the client's data."
  • "Technical support is lacking."

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of documentation and I would recommend reading it. I think that's how they want their tech support to work, through community. The community doesn't talk so well with each other like the Microsoft community because Microsoft's been around a lot longer. It isn't quite working perfectly yet and they don't have experts to answer the questions. They want the users to come to the realization for themselves, based on what I see in the conversations in the communities. It's a millennial mentality. We don't have to be involved, we'll just make the product and let them solve their own…
FS
Senior Consultant CDN at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Easy to manage with a good web application firewall, but the channel support system needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of CDN solutions and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. I also use Cloudflare for various websites. It is a content delivery platform.

• "The most valuable feature is the web application firewall."
  • "There should be a specific price list for enterprise-level customers."

What other advice do I have?

This product is well-developed and they are expanding into other spaces. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security and others in DDoS. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MM
Senior Network Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
An intuitive solution that's great for a small business

• "From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet"
  • "Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva."

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is quite intuitive. For businesses that don't have a dedicated security team, I think it's a better product; it's more intuitive for people like us. I'm a network security engineer, but I'm not a dedicated security official. I've too many other things going on to have the time to do the rule sets that you need if you're working with Imperva — I think a lot of that is down to you as the customer. With Cloudflare, I think a lot of that happens in the background. I've been working with it for a week and a half so I'm not the best person to say if it's better or worse than…
AF
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable with good DDoS protection and good scalability potential

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We use the product for theft and DDoS protection.

• "The DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution."
  • "The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it."

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We are using the latest version of the solution currently. I can't speak to the exact version number, however. I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We've been quite happy with its capabilities.
MC
Network Security Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Great at mitigating threats with good stability and very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide the solution to our clients. It offers DDoS protection, WAF is available, and CDN services are there. You can log the IP address countrywide and it optimizes the content for you.

• "The solution is very good at mitigating threats."
  • "The solution could use more analytics on the backend to give us more insights into everything. More reports would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Cloudflare. This solution is the best product. It does not charge you for any kind of attack on your traffic. It charges you only for any good traffic. It can mitigate up to 30 TBPS of DDoS attacks. If the attack happens and if there is a surge in the traffic, it will only charge you for the good traffic. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, I believe they are still building out their product. There are still items that could be added that will make it even better in the future.
Raj Meka
President and CEO at Mekas Cloud Services
Easy to scale and configure, with reasonable pricing

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company, we provide solutions to our customers. We implement the solutions for our customers. Some of our customers use CloudFlare, some of them are using Imperva and Palo Alto. Our customers use this solution for any web traffic, mostly GCP or to AWS cloud as a backend.

• "There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS."
  • "Latencies are always a problem."

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on what the customer is looking for. These are two different areas. Basically, CloudFare is completely Cloud-based, whereas Imperva I can have a physical appliance or a virtual appliance, or a cloud-based. My solution is based on what customers are looking for, but Cloudflare is pretty good and getting really popular in terms of DDoS, the paid version of it. We looked at the service. What are acceptable latencies? Is it okay to route through a different vendor, and before it reaches the backup? They have to go through multiple vendors. You also have to consider what the…
MU
Information Technology Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to configure and develop documentation to see how the firewalls are configured

• "It is easier to configure and develop documentation to see how we have configured firewalls."
  • "It should have easier documentation for the configuration. It's very technical and people who aren't technical should also be able to do the configuration."

What other advice do I have?

Try to deploy it on your website and test it on your site to see how it works. I would rate it an eight out of ten. It already has a good feature set, I don't think it needs anything else. To make it a ten, the documentation should be simplified.
Andrii Präger
CTO at QROK GmbH
Easy to use, good documentation, reasonably priced, and they have good support

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly. A user who doesn't completely know how everything works can easily sign up and have an account.  It is very clear and the information is very useful. There is a very good reporting system for statistics.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the CDN services. Also, the connection could be improved.

There are some issues with stability. We have connection issues.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We don't have any issues with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cloudflare an eight out of ten.