4c gray text

Cloudflare Review
The API gives us the ability to remote control our DNS settings. We need templates and profiles badly.

Valuable Features

The API gives us the ability to remote control our DNS settings. With many platforms, such as PF-Sense integrating with CloudFlare, it’s an invaluable tool for things such as Dynamic DNS, Let’s Encrypt DNS-01 Challenge, or even as a rapid counter-measure when traffic diversion is needed.

The speed of everything CloudFlare is extreme. The UI is fast, responsive, and updates seem to be pretty much instant. But the biggest benefit, when mentioning speed, is that you can teach anyone in less than 20 minutes how to use it. This even includes your drunken janitor. Try that with AWS.

The Simplicity. When I mention the simplicity, it’s because of the limited information you are presented with at every screen. Although I hate the endless scrolling when searching for a function, I fully understand that less tech-savvy individuals probably have an easier time dealing with less information being thrown at them as they sift through the pile of setting CloudFlare offers. The features, functions, and terminology are also very well and clearly explained, if not almost cut out in cardboard for the reader to understand.

Improvements to My Organization

CloudFlare made it easier for us to manage our client’s DNS. With their outstanding UI, we have been able to reduce human errors and get a better overview of our DNS and security.

Room for Improvement

• We need templates and profiles badly for the whole setup and multi-user support with rights management.
  • They need to fix their extensions and integrations faster.
  • They need to add more sub-level API keys.

Use of Solution

I have used CloudFlare for some twenty months.

We did have stability issues a few times, but it’s hard to tell. They don’t always seem open about disclosing it.

We never had scalability issues.

I rate technical support quite badly. The support person had a hard time understanding my issue.

But to be fair, we gave up on support from major enterprises a long time ago.

Now we don’t even bother. It simply takes too long time to get escalated to Level-1 support where you can have a meaningful conversation.

We had many previous solutions and that’s why we switched.

The setup was super simple, and it still is.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We don’t have advice, since we mostly rely on their free services such as DNS hosting. In general, their pricing is fair, but the price scaling is way too steep. For example, to go from 200 to 5000 dollars does not make any sense at all.

Other Solutions Considered

I believe I reviewed Radware for scrubbing and GratisDNS for DNS.

Other Advice

• Never put your eggs in one basket. Make sure that you have a contingency plan for DNS.
  • Make sure that you can rapidly move domains off CloudFlare. This can be done with scripting from your existing registrar, or with GoDaddy/CFR/Route53, which is a good triangle for speedy moves.
  • Keep an eye on GEO statistics on your important domains and make sure that you are able to provide a quick regional alternative.
  • Spread out domains over multiple accounts and different CloudFlare Servers.
  • Route53 is a good alternative to CloudFlare.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Cloudflare?

Our experts can help. 239,922 professionals have used our research on 5,963 solutions.