Code42 Backup + Restore Review
With it, we now have empirical evidence that we're protecting endpoints. It requires, however, that servers be treated like end-users.

Valuable Features

The enterprise tools of CrashPlan PROe make deployments and monitoring as well as recovery extremely easy for my team. The most valuable feature is the ability to see not just if someone is backed up, but the last time and the percentage of their system that is protected.

Improvements to My Organization

Tasked with Business Continuity, IT now has empirical evidence that we are protecting endpoints.

Room for Improvement

Protecting Servers would be an excellent area to improve. There are workarounds but basically you have to treat them as end-users, which is not the same experience for a server environment.

When reporting backups, the system presumes all data must be backed up, resulting in irrelevant progress metering (500 GB to backup...but really only a change set of 1 MB)

Use of Solution

About a year

The service ports and internal/external/DNS settings gave my team a challenge, but that may have well been our processes and documentation as much as CrashPlan.

None. CrashPlan has worked every time we have needed it to.

None. We protect over 200 endpoints -- remote workers out of the office - with no challenges and centrally from one management console.

The buying process was easy. Multi-year discounts sweetened the deal. Customer Service has mainly been a strong desire to learn about our uses of the product and gather feedback for improvement and engage with the Code42 customer base. This has been a refreshing approach from some other SaaS providers who say they value their customers.

My team worked through any issues with Tech Support but I had no first hand experience. The product works, so I presume they resolved any support needs.

We used Carbonite who promised enterprise management tools but did not deliver after 24 months. Code42 sold a finished product that delivered on its promise.

There was technical complexity to configuring server IPs and ports. Deploying to the endpoints was much easier than expected because the user's could self-service a portion of the process and it was integrated into AD (via ADFS).

Implementation Team

in-house.

ROI

Jus the other day a Sr. executive had their hard drive crash. Another Sr. executive had their laptop stolen from their vehicle. We recovered all files and we could tell that they were all recovered because we could report the last backup timestamp and the percentage (100%).

We measure ROI in business impact and CrashPlan more than paid for itself in those two recoveries. Our previous solution could never have achieved that.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Negotiate a multi-year discount. You are allowed up to five devices (computers) per user account but do not attempt to "share" across users because you will (1) be out of licensing compliance and (2) lose the functionality of the iOS App which our users LOVE (access your files from a business lunch while your computer is not with you).

Other Solutions Considered

Mozy, Carbonite, Kaseya End Point Protection

Other Advice

Stop evaluating. Purchase CrashPlan. Implement it. Go spend time on other IT initiatives because CrashPlan just works.