CyberArk PAS Review

Preemptively helps us detect major threats and vulnerabilities and to address them

What is our primary use case?

CyberArk is managing our privileged accounts: most of the service accounts, admin accounts, and all other privileged accounts on different platforms including Windows and Linux. A lot of databases have already been onboarded. At the moment we are working towards integrating, or implementing, the AIM product to make sure those hard-coded credentials are being managed by CyberArk, instead of being directly coded in.

The plan is to utilize CyberArk secure infrastructure applications running in the cloud, but we will definitely have to upgrade our knowledge. Conjur is one of the very important things we are currently considering, in addition to, of course, AWS and Azure. We have to get ourselves up to speed. So at the moment, we are setting up the platform, but eventually, that is what the goal is.

Currently, we are not using CyberArk secure application credentials and endpoints.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us in identifying and detecting the major threats and vulnerabilities and to make sure those vulnerabilities are addressed before something bad happens. It is more of a preemptive solution, to take care of our weaknesses and overcome them.

We have been continuously monitoring, reporting, and observing where we were a few years ago, or a few months ago, and where we are now. There is continuous improvement in our security posture and that is where the satisfaction is. The solution is really doing what it is supposed to be doing, helping us to improve our security.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is managing the credentials and implementing those policies which rotate the credentials. Session Manager is also key in not letting the users have access to those credentials. Instead, CyberArk actually manages everything by itself.

What needs improvement?

As a customer, I might need a plugin for a specific product, or an application, and CyberArk might have already worked with some other client on it. There has to be some platform where it is available for everybody else to go and grab it, instead of my having to reinvent the wheel.

Three to five years.

So far it has been absolutely wonderful. Of course, the initial glitches, the initial testing, the adjustments in implementation are there. It takes a lot of effort but, once it was all set and it started doing its processes, I haven't seen any concerns or issues.

We haven't had any post-implementation downtime at all, because we have our infrastructure set up in a way that we have active-passive standby on the CPMs. We have PVWAs in a load-balanced environment, we have multiple PSMs in a load-balanced environment as well. They compliment each other, so even if there is work or maintenance happening on one of the components, the other component is there to provide support, and ongoing access to all the users, without having any downtime.

The scalability is definitely very powerful. We did upgrade it, migrate it, a couple of times in the past. Previously I was involved in migrations and, of course, adding more resources, or more accounts - onboarding. It has been amazing.

Occasionally when we are doing a new integration, or run into issues we are not able to fix by ourselves, we use technical support. Escalations have been done, and the support has been absolutely outstanding.

For the initial setup, where there are out-of-the-box plugins, it is pretty straightforward. But when we start going into a more advanced level, where a new plugin has to be developed, or the connection component has to be developed, there is a bit of a complexity. But again, nothing too complex, nothing which cannot be achieved.

Technically, just managing all those privileged accounts and securing our environment, we feel it is much more secure than it was before. So the ROI it is definitely working out.

What other advice do I have?

Take this solution over any other solution. In fact, I have personally brought a couple of my old colleagues with a technical background into this product line so that most of them are now certified on CyberArk and working in the same environment as well.

Without doubt CyberArk is a 10 out of 10. From my experience, the kind of work I have done with this solution, it's absolutely amazing. It has the capabilities to secure the environment, which is the most important part. Anytime we hear any news of breaches elsewhere, that's when we say, "Hey, they should have done something, implemented the solution before they were hit." Once they are hit, they run around and try to fix the problems. But CyberArk, it's an amazing solution.

When it comes to selecting or working with a vendor, our most important criteria are access to support, what level of support is available, how fast the turnaround can be. The executives or the account team have to be very accessible to us, so if we need to implement a new product or new integration we should at least be able to get hold of the people who can guide us in the right direction.