D-Link Ethernet Switches Review

A cost-effective switch that is easy to set up and has room for growth

What is our primary use case?

I am a network administrator and D-Link Ethernet Switches make up part of the network that I manage. These switches connect the workstations to the servers and then through the firewall to the internet.

What is most valuable?

These switches are very easy to install because there is no configuration. Rather, they are just plug-and-play.

What needs improvement?

D-Link switches are not as robust as Cisco.

I would like an option to create different networks within the switch.

I have been working with D-Link Ethernet switches since 2014.

We have not had any trouble with stability. We moved offices two years ago and went to bigger cabinets with more switches, and there haven't been any problems.

This solution is pretty flexible. It has room for growth.

I have never had a problem that required calling technical support. I have had some of these same switches for more than five years without trouble. If I did have an issue now then I would just replace them because they are not expensive.

I used to work a lot with Cisco routers and switches but have not used them since 2011. In comparing them, Cisco routers are more expensive but they are also more robust.

Feature-wise, for the same level of switch model, I don't think that there is much of a difference other than Cisco being more expensive.

The initial setup is very easy and I've had no issues with it at all. Once all of the cables were in place and we turned it on, it worked right away. I had one core switch, to which all of the other switches and the firewall were connected.

I did the deployment myself. All of the configurations were done on the firewall side, which is the hardest part. With a small office like we have, it is not complicated.

The D-Link Switches are cheaper than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend without any reservation. That said, there are some improvements that can be made.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More D-Link Ethernet Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Netgear, Cisco and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.