DataCore SANsymphony SDS Review

Technical support is amazing, very fast, and always has a solution in no time

What is our primary use case?

We use the DataCore software to provide (virtual) storage hardware to our virtualisation environment (VMware ESX).

How has it helped my organization?

• SANsymphony gives us the possibility to get storage redundancy with a very good ROI.
  • It also helps us to get a more balanced performance of our storage systems.

What is most valuable?

• Redundancy of vdisk: It provides less downtime.
  • Continuous data protection: It is always good to have a possibility to "go back".
  • Technical support: Technical support is amazing. It is very fast and always has a solution in no time.

What needs improvement?

• It will help if there is a possibility to backup the vdisks directly.
  • An idea could be that there is a second storage just for backup which doesn't count to the license usage.
  • A better (and easier) tool to detect performance issues.

More than five years.

With SANsymphony we never had any issues of stability.

It is very scalable because you can just extend the storage with other (different) hardware. There is a lot of certified storage hardware. Also, the tier level helps to scale.

Fast, faster, DataCore support.

They are also kind and solution-oriented. They are easy to understand, and you have the feeling they want to help you and get you satisfied.

No, we have only used DataCore SANsymphony as SDS.

The setup was done by our IT partner. It is complex because he also had to set up our iSCSI environment. With Fibre Channel it would be much easier.

Our IT partner started the initial installation. We implemented it in our environment.
The partner had very good expertise.

We didn't calculate the ROI.

We have not calculated the ROI of the software. Only the benefits in redundancy and scalability were important for us.

The licensing is very easy to understand/calculate since the new license model. You just have to license the storage and additional features.

What other advice do I have?

The installation is only supported if it is installed by a DataCore certified implementation engineer. Also, updates should be done by this DCIE.

If you want to manage everything by yourself, you have to get a DCIE.