Dell EMC Avamar Review

An easy initial setup with good duplication and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The duplication is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is actually moving over to a new PowerProtect solution. I'm not sure, in terms of the roadmap, how long they'll have Avamar and NetWorker as they have now launched a new PowerProtect backup solution.

Therefore, the concern really is what the future will be with another product. Will we have to migrate, for example, and will it be easy or hard to do so?

It would be helpful if there was cloud support.

I've been using the solution for about eight years now. It's been a while.

We've been happy with the stability. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. It's been good.

The scalability is limited right now. A company shouldn't expect to be able to expand it too much. That may be just the case in general for the kind of software it is.

We typically work to size accordingly to avoid having to make upgrades.

The support is okay. They are pretty knowledgable and prompt. I'd rate them seven out of ten overall. We're mostly satisfied with their level of service.

We actually used to use Veritas. We got rid of Veritas Symantec NetBackup because it couldn't do all the deduplication we needed and didn't have all of the features that Avamar has. The support was also very bad. We were happy to switch to something else.

The initial setup is not complex. Implementation is pretty straightforward.

We had Dell assist us a bit in the implementation process.

I'm not sure how to calculate the cost. It's a hard question to answer. I do know that we pay for support upfront for five years.

I'm not sure how to compare costs, however, I can say that based on what we're seeing we get very good deduplication rates with the data domain on the backend.

We did briefly look at another solution, however, we decided not to move forward with it.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently just customers with Dell. We don't have a business relationship with them.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the solution as there's a new solution that will be replacing it. However, it's not a bad solution as it stands.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a pretty decent product.

More Dell EMC Avamar reviews from users