Dell EMC Avamar Review

Flexible and stable with great reporting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution the database replications in web hosting, mostly.

What is most valuable?

The duplication capabilities are very helpful.

The native data protection capability and remote data protection capabilities make it a unique solution. It makes it possible so that it will fit with any kind of vendor the customer needs.

The backup features. for example, the exclusionary statement, are excellent.

Overall, the solution offers some really great reporting.

It's very flexible when it comes to the end-user device backup.

In general, the product has been extremely easy to use. It's one of the best aspects.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not scale. It would be nice if there were much more scalability capabilities.

The solution could get better at data process managing. It can take more than three or four hours for supporting images. It's critical to do this faster.

It would be helpful if the product could support Linux patches. It's my understanding it only offers HTML.

The product could offer more integration capabilities.

We've been using the solution for a few years at this point. It's been a while. I personally have been dealing with the solution for four years or so.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is very reliable.

The product does not scale. If a company needs something that can scale, they need something else.

We have three customers that are currently using the solution.

Typically, we handle support-related queries from customers, however, we have dealt with Avamar's technical support in the past and they have been helpful and responsive. The response time in particular has always been very good.

The installation process is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the process. It's easy.

Deployments typically take about one and a half hours or so.

Currently, we have five technical engineers. Each one has its own specialization that they are capable of deploying Avamar. We can deploy the solution for our clients.

Customers do have to pay for a professional license in order to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators.

We tend to work with relatively new versions of the solution. It may not always be the latest version. Typically the versions we use have been released in the last six months or so.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations and especially to end-users.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

More Dell EMC Avamar reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.