Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance Review

Good technical support and a commendable deduplication rate

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients.

This appliance allows you to expand into the cloud with a provider like AWS or Azure. It can provide the capability for a third-level backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the deduplication rate. It is high and quite commendable.

This product is very easy to deploy. It is integrated and you don't have to buy software then find hardware to work with it because it is an all-in-one solution.

What needs improvement?

In general, there is no perfect solution and there is always room for improvement.

The price could be lowered slightly, to make it more competitive.

I have been working with the Integrated Data Protection Appliance for about two years.

Our customers are satisfied with the stability, which is why they are still using the product. We have not heard back about any issues with the system not working well.

It is easy to scale, although there may be some limitations at the end of the day.

I have been in touch with Dell EMC's technical support a couple of times and they are fantastic. They are available from the day of your installation and can help you to check any issue that is happening. There are always people available to help with support.

In Nigeria, they have engineers available in case it is not possible to solve the problem remotely.

This appliance is physical, so it is installed on-site.

The deployment takes three to four hours, after which everything will be set up. Prior to purchasing the hardware, you will have the proper sizing of the environment.

We deploy this solution for our customers. Beyond this, we do not administer their infrastructure.

This solution is slightly more expensive than some of the competitors.

One of the competing solutions is the Veritas NetBackup Appliance. It is also an integrated solution and there is not too much difference between them. The last time I checked, the Veritas appliance was a little bit cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to compare products from Veritas, Commvault, IBM, and Dell EMC. Personally, I feel that this is a robust solution and one that I can always recommend.

That said, there is no perfect solution. No matter how robust it is, all competitors have an edge in some way. It could be price, availability, simplicity, the level of support, or something else.

Hybrid Cloud