Dell PowerConnect Switches Review

Good throughout, compatibility, price, and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it in various environments for different customers.

What is most valuable?

Its throughout and compatibility are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

There should be more port options in this switch. Currently, it has 24 or 48 ports. However, some of our customers require only 8 ports, but I have to put a switch with 24 ports. They should provide smaller solutions and complimentary access point for companies like ours with a low quantity of work.

The main issue with this product is branding. They should improve their branding and promote their brand more in Mexico. Customers are more aware of brands like Cisco as compared to Dell.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It has good stability. I am happy with its stability.

It is expensive to scale. Our clients are medium and large organizations.

Their technical support is good. Sometimes, there is a delay in the replacement of the parts, but they are generally good. Their documentation is also generally fine.

The initial setup depends on the environment. Sometimes, I need the inter-VLAN or layer 3 feature, which can be complex. In some of the modes, it is plug and play.

Its price is okay. Sometimes, it is lower than a Cisco solution.

We evaluated Cisco, HP, Aruba, and Brocade. In most cases, the clients decide based on the brand and the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell PowerConnect Switches an eight out of ten.

More Dell PowerConnect Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Catalyst Switches
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerConnect Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.