Dell PowerConnect Switches Overview

Dell PowerConnect Switches is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Data Center Networking tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: Dell PowerConnect Switches vs Cisco Catalyst Switches

What is Dell PowerConnect Switches?
PowerConnect Switches family offers a set of flexible, manageable and comprehensive switch solutions supporting up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) and optimized Internet iSCSI (iSCSI) performance with Dell Storage solutions, ideal for enterprise and campus LAN environments alike.

Dell PowerConnect Switches is also known as PowerConnect Switches.

Dell PowerConnect Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell PowerConnect Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Dell PowerConnect Switches Customers
Amerijet Holdings Inc., CGD Securities, MavenWire, Tulane University
Dell PowerConnect Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerConnect Switches pricing:
  • "This solution is much cheaper than comparable products by Cisco."
  • "Its price is okay. Sometimes, it is lower than a Cisco solution."

PV
Network Administrator at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
Good support, stable to the point where incidents have zero impact on the organization

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for storage and connectivity.

• "The most valuable features are the jumbo frames and the stacking."
  • "Scalability, especially with the power connect series is something that you have to take into account before starting the project because any changes to an ongoing project can be difficult."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go with Proactive Care. Proactive care is the highest level of support contract that is available or provided by Dell. I would say it's recommended, especially for the power connector for a higher level and various switches like the eight thousand series and higher. My advice would be to always call for Proactive Care support contracts because they will make sure you get the best service that is available. There is no need for improvement because they are proactively maintained by Dell themselves. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Benjamin Ighagbon
IT Project Manager at NTSAFRICA Services
Easy to use with a web-based GUI, highly resilient, and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Dell PowerConnect Switches are one of the products that we implement for our customers. Many of the models are used to manage East-West traffic in the network. The are other models that handle traffic at the application layer. In data centers, we generally deploy the S Series.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is simplicity."
  • "When it comes to the configuration, there should be documentation and interactive help available to assist people who have experience with products from other vendors."

What other advice do I have?

Dell seems to accommodate everyone when it comes to managing these switches. The ease of use is an important selling point that has allowed them to push into the market. My advice for anybody who is considering these switches is that they are a good product and I recommend them. There is some training available to help understand the architecture, which you should take. If you are coming from a Cisco background then you will find it very easy to integrate. One of the things that I have learned about using this product is that there is steady development going on at all times. There are other…
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerConnect Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AhmedElghawabi
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to configure and integrates well with Cisco hardware, but incompatible with SDN

What is our primary use case?

Dell PowerConnect Switches make up part of our network and they are connected to our Dell servers.

• "Dell PowerConnect Switches are easy to configure."
  • "It would be great to have modules that integrate with SDN solutions such as Cisco ACI, Arista SDN, Huawei Agile, and IBM."

What other advice do I have?

We have decreased our use of Dell PowerConnect Switches in the past year because we are moving to virtualization and using SDN switches. The problem comes about because it is difficult to see the server end-point directly on the SDN. For our Dell servers, we are replacing the switches with pass-through modules because the spanning tree loops are the same. My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to consider issues that might occur when using devices from multiple vendors. We found this difficult because of the integration. We like Dell because it is easy to use and it…
AS
System Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
Flexible, efficient technology for streaming and has a simple interface

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Dell and I'm a systems administrator. Our primary use case for the product is connecting the main core, the data center, with core switches. We have six floors in the building and on each floor we have two switches we connected using stack technology with a fiber network in between.

• "The technology is good and the interface is simple. We haven't had any bugs, disconnections or delays."
  • "Because of the stackings you lose some boards and switches."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
CM
Network Infrastructure Administrator at PCC Intermodal
Easy to set up and configure with excellent pricing

• "The functionality is very good."
  • "We've only been using the solution for half a year. We haven't run into any issues, but maybe over time, that may change. It's too soon to tell. Offhand, there aren't any features that are lacking."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We aren't partners with Dell. The solution is fairly easy to use. We configured it and plugged it in, and now it works without a problem. We haven't had any issues with this platform after a year and a half of use. We don't have any use cases with these devices currently. We do have corporate support from Dell because we bought switches and servers. I don't administrate servers, I only administrate on network infrastructure. The implementation we've done so far has been quite small. However, Dell is very good for big companies. I'd recommend people buy the solution. It's…
CY
IT Manager at a real estate/law firm with 1-10 employees
Very solid and reliable at a reasonable cost

What is our primary use case?

We are a small operation and don't have a so-called data center. Our requirements are not complex and we really just need a firewall for downloading material. We use 48 port units. The switches have that capability and give us enough flexibility for when the time comes to really start segregating things. The product is used extensively but it doesn't require much maintenance. I'm an IT manager and we're Dell customers.

• "This is a very reliable solution."
  • "Accessibility and management could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of costs and reliability, they are okay. It might not be able to do more complex things so anyone looking to use the solution would need to figure out their requirements. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
AN
Director of operations and projects at SERTEI Soluciones Informáticas
Good throughout, compatibility, price, and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it in various environments for different customers.

• "Its throughout and compatibility are the most valuable."
  • "There should be more port options in this switch. Currently, it has 24 or 48 ports. However, some of our customers require only 8 ports, but I have to put a switch with 24 ports. They should provide smaller solutions and complimentary access point for companies like ours with a low quantity of work. The main issue with this product is branding. They should improve their branding and promote their brand more in Mexico. Customers are more aware of brands like Cisco as compared to Dell."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell PowerConnect Switches an eight out of ten.
DP
Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great switches for LAN access that have been combined for data, high-performance access-points, IT surveillance, and cameras

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC Networking N1500 series switches. We use them primarily for access to the Local Area Network.

• "When the price is competitive the customers tend to choose the cheaper brand and then look at the features. So having a competitive price is a plus."
  • "I would like to see better scalability and more features on these switches in the future."

What other advice do I have?

The Dell EMC Networking N1500 Switches are a great solution. They are great switches for access switch on LAN which they have combined for data, high-performance access-point, IT surveillance, and cameras. I would rate these switches a ten on a scale of ten out of ten.
See 4 more Dell PowerConnect Switches Reviews