Dell PowerConnect Switches Review

Includes easy commands to turn everything off, but some firmware have a hard Telnet/SSH/web timeout that is really short

What is our primary use case?

I've always used them as iSCSI only switches; they don't run anything else other than pure iSCSI traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

Once up and running they have always been rock solid, but I only use them as pure, clean iSCSI switches. I've mainly been using 1GbE, but lately, also 10GbE.

What is most valuable?

An easy command to turn everything off: clean, only setting jumbo frame. When we ran EqualLogic SANs, the old PowerConnect was self-configuring the ports that were connected to the EQ box.

What needs improvement?

I have no idea, as they have always worked rock solid for me. Some firmware have a hard Telnet/SSH/web timeout that is really short. That's sometimes annoying.

More than five years.

For me, excellent, never had any issue.

Brocade Fibre Channel.

Easy, turn everything off, configure the jumbo frame, configure the OOB interface and you are done.

Not really, as we moved from Fibre Channel to iSCSI with an EqualLogic PS4100, and we got the switches, servers and SAN box in one package.