Drupal Review

A good product that helps me to manage complex digital solutions

What is our primary use case?

We are an agency so we created a Drupal website for our customers. Our primary use case is to put a Drupal website on our hosting web. So we use the solution on the cloud and then we also have one customer that uses it on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is that Drupal is a framework and not only a CMS. And I like that it's a good product to manage complex digital solutions.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better pricing because Drupal is an open-source technology. And then I also think the support needs to improve, as well as the integration with tracking and analytics systems. Translation management should also improve.

I have been using the solution for seven years now.

The solution is very stable.

I believe the solution is scalable.

We haven't used this solution's technical support yet. I do, however, think that it is good. Whenever I need technical support from Drupal due to a bug issue or some other problem, I will always ask the community first before bothering the Drupal team. I understand that Acquia has a service level agreement to contact the supporter when we have a website in the mission-critical context. But I have never used it, until now.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward. It took us about an hour to deploy the program, but customization took a little longer.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that Drupal is not only a CMS, you need to learn the Drupal fundamentals before to start the project. Drupal is a handy tool whenever you work on a digital infrastructure broad project and not only a simple website. So if you have a big project, you can use Drupal. But if you have a small website, like a blog or simple website, my advice would be not to use Drupal, because Drupal is too complex and the cost to maintain the platform can be too high, related to the value of your website, for example. If you have a website with a big product catalog, for example, in many languages and in many countries in the world, then Drupal is good. But if you have a simple website, like a portfolio or five page-website, you can use many other technologies that'd be simple to maintain and implement.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate Drupal an eight. In the next release, I would like to see basic page buttons and better integration with the analytics platform. A drag and drop function to create simple pages will also be handy. For example, if a customer wants to create a landing page, it should be easy for him or her to do so. I would also like to see better translation management.