Duo Security Review

Stable, easy to set up, and has useful push notifications, integrations, and mobile app

What is our primary use case?

Duo Security provides multi-factor authentication for anything that requires multi-factor authentication. It could be our internal corporate services, such as a single sign-on portal, or applications, such as Google Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very easy for users to enroll. There are a lot of insights that we get from using the app on devices that people use to authenticate.

What is most valuable?

The push notifications and the integrations they offer are valuable. Their mobile app is very useful. It is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The only time I really had some negative feedback for them was about the UI of their mobile app, but they improved it in the last version. There was no way to (re)name 3rd party OTP accounts so it got confusing when multiple ones were existing. In addition, each account took a lot of space on the screen, they condensed it in the new version to make it easier for people that have a lot of accounts added. Duo has a beta program and actively solicits and listens to feedback which personally I think is great.

It is good on the functionality side, but their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. If you are on a monthly term or a yearly contract, you basically pay the same price, and that is very unusual. Normally, there is a discount when someone signs up for the 12-month system.

I have been using this solution probably since 2014. In this company, we have been using it for two years in total.

It is stable. Over the last six or seven years, I didn't have any issues where something wasn't working.

The maximum number of users that I have had is around 600, and I haven't found any issues there. In my current organization, every employee is using this solution. We have 250 employees.

I have not interacted with them. I never had to open a support case.

We didn't have anything in place.

It is pretty straightforward. I just need to log in to an account and integrate systems that should be using Duo Security. That's basically it. It probably took me an hour to roll out the accounts.

IT support helps users if they run into problems with the application, but that's about it. There is no separate team for its maintenance and deployment. There are a lot of service options for our users. They don't even need to contact IT support. On a new phone, they can even do it on their own.

It has provided ROI.

Their pricing model is a little bit weird. Currently, there is no price advantage in signing up for yearly contracts. There are no additional costs to the standard licensing costs.

We looked briefly at Okta Verify. It is the Verify app from Okta to use a single sign-on provider. It had the same price but far less functionality. It was a no-brainer to just go with Duo Security.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to look at the integrations that are available and see if they can roll it out to as many applications as they can. Encourage users to use Duo Push versus the six-digit pin code that the applicant generates.

I would rate Duo Security a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Duo Security reviews from users
...who compared it with RSA Authentication Manager
Learn what your peers think about Duo Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.