Ekahau Site Survey Review

We used it to create a plan to support the company headquarters building with a high-density environment.

What is most valuable?

When you have a new site to plan, with ESS you can easily create a good plan to begin to understand the solution and the challenges. This way, you can create a Bill of Materials to buy what will work for your business requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

With ESS, we were able to understand what will be necessary to create a plan to support the company headquarters building with more than 2000 people in a high-density environment.

What needs improvement?

Today, ESS doesn't support mixed outdoor-indoor environments. We have port and railroad environments that can't be created and exported to the WiFi management solution because ESS can´t support it.

In the ESS, we don't have an easy way to select access points and then select an external antenna for it. This is a very common situation when you are testing what could be the best solution for an environment.

Anther important point is that Ekahau Mobile doesn't have GPS support. We can't do outdoor site surveys as easily as we can in the ESS.

I have worked with Ekahau since I was a Nortel Network Pre-sales Engineer, that is, more than 10 years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

For some operations, such as report generation, it requires a lot memory (more than 16GB RAM).

Customer service provides fast answers.

Sometimes, it takes technical support time to understand a new feature request.

We previously we worked on a project with AirMagnet Survey. This tool was provided by the company that was supporting us on the project.

Initial setup was easy but only with the training course it was possible to get all of the tool's potential.

Implementation was done by an in-house team.

The ROI was quick because we can save money doing it ourselves and we could develop internal knowledge.

This is a professional solution that can be very useful for planning and troubleshooting, but it is not cheap. It can make sense when you are a WiFi Engineering Company or you have médium-large WiFi environments.

For small environments, I recommend Ekahau Mobile.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

2 Comments
Alex-WilsonReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

I use ESS for outdoor surveys all the time with GPS. While a tablet / phone would be easier, it is very workable. I use a lightweight Lenovo laptop that has good battery life. I typically use a cart for smooth areas, or a carry vest for areas where I need to walk. For spare power, I carry an OmniCharge battery pack.

Report generation works fine for me. I have 8GB on the Lenovo and I have 8GB dedicated to Windows operations on my Mac when I run reports. Yes, they are slow, but if you modify the templates carefully, you can eliminate things not needed and really pick up the performance.

05 May 17
Claudio RosaReal UserTOP 10LEADERBOARD

Sorry I didn´t see your post. The minimum amout of RAM recommended is 16 GB. I have a HP laptop with 32 GB and when I have to run a multi-floor design, in the Report Generation, the ESS use to spend 20 GB RAM.

With 8GB will run but probably you will suffer waiting to finish simple operations.

Regards,