ELK Elasticsearch Review

Helpful text processing features and is easy to use, but stability needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to collect log data and analyze it. We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The special text processing features in this solution are very important for me.

As a system, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This is not a robust system, so in terms of resilience, they have to make some improvements. From time to time the system goes down and we have to start again, after adjusting some configuration parameters.

Technical support can be improved.

The interface would be improved with the inclusion of dashboards to assist in analyzing problems because it is very difficult. Better dashboards or a better configuration system would be very good.

I have been using this solution for six months.

This is not exactly a stable solution, which is why we are considering another compatible tool, and whether we go on with Elasticsearch or change it.

I follow their forum and blogs, and I have also asked questions directly to their technical department. I would say that support is moderate. It is not very good or very bad, but in between.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is easy and straightforward.

The deployment is both easy and quick.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment.

Two people are enough for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution, but due to issues with stability, I'm now trying out PostgreSQL for comparison.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody considering this solution is that it is an easy to use tool, but for work that is not complex. If on the other hand, the work is more complex, with more data and perhaps a clustering environment, then they may have to consider something more stable and more robust.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.