EMC Avamar Review

Great integration with VMware and support for Data Domain

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for tape backup and data domain. It is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of backups, and this tool helps us with the RMAN Backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is D2 and conversion with the Data Domain because other solutions are not able to use the Data Domain.

Integration with VMware is great.

What needs improvement?

There are limitations when trying to use this solution with Hyper-V. The limitations exist when trying to restore a backup from Hyper-V.

This solution needs to have full integration with Hyper-V, like the way Veeam has. In the hub, the DBA cannot restore the backup directory directly on the host. They have to restore the data disks and then deploy to the VM after this is done.

I would like to see an open-source learning platform for this solution.

We have been using this solution for about three years.

This is a very stable solution. We use this product on a daily basis.

I like the scalability this solution has. We have more than fifty severs and more than four hundred VMs. We do not plan to increase usage at this time.

Technical support for this solution was great. They are very quick to respond.

Prior to this solution, we worked with Commvault, Veritas, and Veeam. We still work with multiple vendors for our backup and recovery solution.

The initial setup of this solution is simple. The deployment took a couple of days for the components. There are some steps to perform on the network before everything can be installed.

There are three members that make up our administrative team.

During the implementation, we worked with a partner and it was a good experience.

This solution is less expensive than Veeam for us, although it depends on the customer because we get a great discount.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend, although if you have Hyper-V then I would suggest you use Veeam. Veeam is fully integrated with Hyper-V, and there are more features in Veeam.