ESET Endpoint Security Review

Good management and threat protection but needs features for users working outside the network

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the endpoint and server solutions.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is essentially managing a solution. The ability to push policies and also to restrict an installation or to restrict any form of threat within the policy has been quite useful.

The threat protection is actually pretty good.

What needs improvement?

There was actually a feature that we were looking for but we realized that it was actually the version that we had. We had ESET Antivirus and there was another one that offers the content version, which wasn't available for us, however, they made it an upgrade to have that feature anyways. It would be nice if it was simply included.

In terms of what is lacking in ESET, it really would need more features for the users when they are working outside of the corporate network. That's a feature we actually have in force there. They have the ESET Cloud and the feature of the ESET Cloud, whereby the policies are actually pushed from the Cloud server anywhere they are. Where they are, the staff can read their information. However, currently, I have to push it to a spot on the corporate network, where they'll have a VPN to get back to the server. That is kind of bad. We actually want a hybrid, a mixed solution, whereby you have your policies locally but then, through a subscription with ESET, you can have those policies pushed to the Cloud. In the configuration, it would be ideal to have a primary location for them to go to.

That way, locally, once they are connected to this network, they can use our local server. We're on the network and it cannot detect the primary server. It actually uses the Cloud, which should be a second option within the configuration. Our policies that get replicated to the Cloud from on-premise would still need to play a significant role on the user's workstation.

If there's an incident or any malware detected on the endpoint when the user is remote when they are away from us if it could actually still use that router and report back to us and send the alerts back to the ESET Cloud, that would be great. That was one of the things we were looking for but we haven't found that.

With ESET deployment there is an appliance. It's a virtual appliance, a network appliance. We had some difficulties when I tried to get that virtual appliance to utilize our internal certificate authority. Try as we might, we didn't find any documentation. We couldn't find any help. I contacted the company and requested some documents that weren't really useful. We had to switch back to a Windows-based solution and then we were able to go ahead and use custom certificates. The problem is the documentation from ESET regarding custom certificates based on Windows. They need to clarify that

I've been using the solution for about three years or so.

The stability of the solution is okay, however, it depends on how you connect it. We haven't had any issues so far.

We don't have more than one core server. We don't really have large servers that we need to scale out. We don't have much need to scale.

We have about 150 to 200 people on the solution currently.

Technical support is pretty good, however, we had some issues with the certificates during the setup and they didn't help us too much in that instance. I'd give them a rating of four out of five stars simply due to that instance where they proved to be unhelpful and lacked proper documentation.

While this initial setup itself was easy, we did have issues dealing with custom Windows certificates and we just couldn't get any proper documentation out of ESET. It was a headache.

Apart from that challenge that we encountered, when we switched back to Windows it was okay. It didn't take a long time.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I don't know if it works, the Cloud solution. If it were just to migrate to ESET Cloud, I don't know if it would manage the internet traffic from the multiple clients on the server-side. I don't know if it's five years on a service agent that we need to install locally to control it and combine it.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. There are a few functionalities that I wish we had, however, it's not a bad product.

More ESET Endpoint Security reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Endpoint Security
Learn what your peers think about ESET Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.