ExtremeCloud IQ Review

Distributed networking with centralized management

What is most valuable?

Their distributed model - they call it cooperative control - rather than a controller-based system, has permitted a centralized management control plane with HiveManager while data flows just as it does over any LAN. They also have robust troubleshooting tools available.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to deploy complex wireless solutions to our users with minimal difficulty.

What needs improvement?

Aerohive's new version of HiveManager, known as NG, while offering new features, still needs development and an ability to migrate from "classic" versions of HiveManager.

NG is a step in the right direction towards both an improved interface (interface being a deficit noted by other reviewers) and SDN. After years of development on "classic" versions of HiveManager, NG is still a work in progress. As of 2016, they have yet to add support for their line of BR routers and CVG VPN Gateway to HM NG. HiveManager 6 is still required to centrally manage these devices. As a result, we are currently running both HM "classic" and NG in our environment.

I have been assured support is on the way, but other features, such as open API support, seem to be taking precedence in development.

We have used it since 2008.

There have been minimal issues, usually when updating to new versions of Hive OS.

One HiveOS release, we downgraded until the next revision was released.

We have never hit a ceiling, although I feel confident we would have if a controller-based solution had been deployed.

They have been very eager to please us.

As with any other IT vendor I've worked with over 20 years, some are better than others. Again, they seem eager to please and resolve any issues we've encountered.

I previously used Symbol/Motorola. We switched due to scalability and management issues.

It can be as simple or complex as you wish.

An in-house team implemented it.

Without needing to pay for controllers, we were able to invest in better wireless hardware. License and maintenance costs were minimal.

Before choosing, we also evaluated Cisco, Aruba, Meru, Meraki, Ruckus, and Motorola.

What other advice do I have?

We integrated Aerohive into our Cisco-centric environment in 2008 and never looked back. Subsequently, when Aerohive offered other layer two devices, specifically switches, we opted to begin to upgrade our older Cisco access switches with Aerohive devices.

More ExtremeCloud IQ reviews from users
3 Comments

author avatarOrlee Gillis

How have you overcome the deployment issues during periodical upgrades?

author avatarit_user527943 (IT Admin at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees)

They have been rare, but we will typically start with one or two local APs for a few days and if no issues are presented, we push to two or three facilities for a few more days, then to the rest of the enterprise.
The one issue we ran into was in regard to a specific b/g wifi device series, which is ubiquitous in our warehouses. We performed troubleshooting on the LAN and client side for a few weeks and found the simplest fix was to back off to a previous HiveOS version.

By downgrading to an older Hive OS, we do not feel we have missed out on improvements in the platform that would be critical to us. Although we view this as a temporary solution and will continue to test as newer versions are released.