ExtremeCloud IQ Review

We like the ability to distribute policies based on AD group membership

What is most valuable?

Having the ability to distribute policies based on AD group membership is fantastic. We can use one SSID and steer clients to different VLANs based on membership.

How has it helped my organization?

By using AD sign in for our wireless, we can track things like printing volumes far easier than ever before. Also we can pinpoint the location of users should that need arise.

What needs improvement?

With a lot of clients, the client listings are a little slow. Once in a while some of the access points need to be rebooted to perform an upgrade, but that's been the exception to the rule.

With the Online Manager, if you choose to view the connected clients and there are a lot of them (and you want to view them on one page), then it takes a little while to generate the page.

Around four years

Not at all, the Aerohive support team was terrific during deployment, and afterwards if we had any questions or issues.

Not really, on occasion a few of the access points seem to slow down and a reboot fixes it quickly but it's not been often enough that we've needed to figure out why.

No issues. In high traffic areas, or in poor coverage areas, we've simply added APs and they're onboard right away. There are a couple of large rooms that have had an AP added due to the 100 client limit.

Top notch. I haven't had to deal with support very often, but the few times that I have they've been very responsive.

Again, top notch. Problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently, and if escalation is required that happens immediately.

We've used HP and switched because of the appeal of a controller-less wireless solution, and the appeal of simplified management.

I wasn't here when the initial deployment took place, but as I understand it it was incredibly smooth. The planning tool is very intuitive and helpful.

In-house. The deployment was performed by our IT manager with little outside help needed. Once an AP is set up as you'd like, copying the config is very straightforward.

Not sure how to calculate this, but I suppose it's been less expensive to operate than the old network as there is less time involved in managing the system.

It's a little pricey, but then so is the competition. You do require a license per device, so make sure that if you order more APs you have also purchased licenses.

Sure, Cisco, Aruba, HP... The usual suspects. Aerohive seemed like the way to go for a few reasons. The cloud based management was among the deciding factors. We can check on and manage the environment anywhere, anytime.

What other advice do I have?

I'd encourage anyone to use Aerohive products, they've been trouble free, they're timely with upgrades (including new functionality).

Built in spectrum analysis!

More ExtremeCloud IQ reviews from users