ExtremeCloud IQ Review

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage the wifi from the cloud and not needing to have an on premise controller is great. Great support as well.

How has it helped my organization?

With our previous wifi system it was on premise and end of life. We were unable to get any more updates for it and with Cloud wifi there are no hardware limits and we also were able to expand mac authentication to 500 users vs. 125 with our existing system.

What needs improvement?

There could be better alerts setup for the access points. I also wish there was a way to track users roaming from access point to access point. It would also be great to have better interference assistance.

We have been using it for 6 months.

We did run into an issue where there was a lot of interference when we launched the new APs. We ended up also with issues that were compounded by firmware that was having issues as well. After working with support and an SE we were able to get the APs stable and working properly.

We haven't had any stability issues yet. The access points have been running smoothly since the initial deployment issues we had which has been great.

We had to tweak some power for some of our APs so they would not pick up the access points from our lower floors after we launched. After tweaking that we didnt have any issues scaling.

Customer service has been great. Any issues I have had were answered quickly and we were able to resolve things quickly. The demo we were setup with was long enough to meet our testing needs and we were given enough APs to test with.

Support was great to work with. Each tech I have worked with was very knowledgeable and easy to get ahold of. They were quick to escalate if our issues needed the next level of support. They would keep in contact.

We previously used Ruckus. We switched due to our equipment being end of life and we wanted to move to a cloud solution. Aerohive was able to meet both of those needs. We also wanted something that worked good with our noisy environment and was able to provide a stable connection with a lot of interference.

The initial setup was pretty easy. We did run into some issues due to some of our access points were initially registered to the HiveManager and not NG. Once I contacted support, they were able to get everything switched and I was up and running. The network profiles were a little difficult to setup to use Mac authentication.

We purchased through a vendor but didn't use them to implement the solution. They were very helpful with the trial and working with Aerohive on pricing and things. They are continuing to be helpful with a hardware switch out we are doing for different country access points.

Our return on investment so far has been more stable wifi that is future proof and faster than our old system. We don't have to worry about a controller going end of life and have the ability to manage the whole company from one central dashboard.

The pricing and licensing is a great structure and fairly priced. We looked at a few different solutions and they were right in line with competitors and cheaper. There is no per user license which is nice.

We evaluated Aruba and Meraki. Meraki was not our choice due to not being able to get a stable Wifi connection due to it being unable to handle the interference here in our office. Aruba was nice and the pricing was similar to Aerohive but I felt their cloud interface wasn't as user friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a great solution and as more and more technology changes come out it should only get better. They are priced right and fairly user friendly to setup for someone with not much wifi experience.

More ExtremeCloud IQ reviews from users