FortiNAC Review

​It’s a unified place where we can manage campus onboarding. ​Interaction with other vendors switches & APs should be more thoroughly tested.

Valuable Features:

It’s a unified place where we can manage campus onboarding/BYOD NAC security.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has provided port/wireless security to all devices trying to connect to our campus network.

Room for Improvement:

Interaction with other vendors switches & APs should be more thoroughly tested as integration between Networks Sentry and other networking equipment needs to be seamless for this product to work.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for five years.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

We had no issues with the scalability.

Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired. Most times the engineers blame the customer’s network even even before they collect the necessary data regarding an issue. We’ve discovered several flaws and bugs with the system in various occasions, only to have Bradford support deny there’s a problem or make fun of the customer. Also, response time on cases has been terrible. After opening a case, it could take days before an initial response from TAC is performed. Even after that... cases can linger open for weeks or months before any feasible solution is found. We had a case regarding integration with Aerohive open for over a year. Furthermore, case resolution follows very non-standard Practices in the industry. In many instances, TAC engineers close the cases without notice or without asking the customer if it's OK to close the case or if the issue has been resolved.

Previous Solutions:

This is the first NAC appliance we ever used on-campus.

Initial Setup:

Initial set-up required engineers to be on-site to configure the box to work with our network. Thus, I would say it was complex (this was in 2010; it might be different now).

Implementation Team:

We implemented through a team provided by the vendor. I would advise to test implementation in a small building before make a campus-wide deployment.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Pricing & Licensing are fair as far as we can tell.

Other Advice:

I would make sure this product integrates well with the customer’s network before deployment. We had to move away from this product recently on the Wireless side of the network as the Sentry would not integrate well with our Aerohive Wireless Infrastructure. We had an issue where the Sentry would not properly communicate with the APs and thus would let customers blocked from our network for no particular reason. Since this issue went unresolved for over three years, we decided to implement a different Wireless NAC solution and cut back our Bradford licenses to less than half of the original (we’re now using Bradford only to secure our wired network).

1 visitor found this review helpful