Fortinet FortiNAC Overview

Fortinet FortiNAC is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. It is most often compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Fortinet FortiNAC vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)

What is Fortinet FortiNAC?

The proliferation of Internet of Things (IoT) devices, has made it necessary for organizations to improve their visibility into what is attached to their networks. They need to know every device and every user accessing their networks. IoT devices enable digital transformation initiatives and improve efficiency, flexibility, and optimization. However, they are inherently untrustworthy, with designs that prioritize low-cost over security. FortiNAC provides the network visibility to see everything connected to the network, as well as the ability to control those devices and users, including dynamic, automated responses.

Fortinet FortiNAC is also known as FortiNAC, Bradford Networks, Bradford Networks Sentry, Network Sentry Family.

Download the Network Access Control (NAC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Fortinet FortiNAC Customers

Isavia, Pepperdine University, Medical University of South Carolina, Columbia University Medical Center, Utah Valley University

Fortinet FortiNAC Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiNAC pricing:
  • "The licensing fees are a little bit high."
  • "It's a subscription-based license, which is based on the usage and number of concurrent users."

Boller Anyiine
Cyber Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enhances the Security Fabric with visibility, control, and automated response for everything that connects to the network & protection against IoT threats extending control to third-party devices.

What is our primary use case?

I was certified in FortiNAC (Part of Fortinet-NSE6) last year and I've personally implemented FortiNAC in three organizations. We work as a team with people who have expertise in different areas and Vendors and have exposure to different infrastructures. FortiNAC scans your network to discover every user, application, and device (IOT), With up to 18 different techniques, it can then profile each element based on observed characteristics and responses for granular visibility - We then apply state-based control(eth0 VLAN switching) and Policy based control rules for access control and response… more »

• "Provides containment and security and and carries out file analysis for cyber theft."
  • "Admin UI could be better matched and easier to use; it cannot work as a RADIUS server."

What other advice do I have?

You need to think about what you need as a company. There are so many government institutions, so many corporate institutions in the world that want to protect their networks. People have different privileges within a network, an instructor cannot have the same privileges as a normal user and the guest. We have guests coming onto our network, contractors coming to work at different times on the network, the main users who are working in different departments and who shouldn't have access to some platforms. When it comes to authentication you need to make sure you're protected from all kinds of…
Rupsan Shrestha
Technical Presales Engineer at Dristi Tech Pvt.ltd
User friendly with a good graphical interface and excellent community support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is generally used for compliance and other related items such as network visibility.

• "The most valuable features of the solution are the user-friendliness, the graphical interface, and the technical support. The interface is very nice and the customization is good."
  • "For our organization and our clients, the price is the main concern. They should work to make it more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

I don't exactly remember the version our clients are using currently, however, and I believe it is vm based for 2000 devices. We don't actually use the solution in our own organization, but we have deployed it and we provide service, support, and monitoring on the devices to our clients.
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Aruba Networks and others in Network Access Control (NAC). Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SamerKiwan
System Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good compliance checks and security features with the capability to scale significantly

• "Compliance checks are a good feature. Compliance check is for windows updates and for antivirus updates, etc."
  • "The implementation process needs improvement. Right now, it's somewhat complicated. They could create some templates to facilitate implementation. Right now everything is done manually, and it just takes a really long time at the initial setup."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. In terms of advice I'd give to others, I'd say the most important thing to worry about is organizing the network, like active directory groups and groups of users, etc. Organize the groups with VLAN IDs that are not too specific and the VLANs should be on all company switches. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
AM
Technology Consultant Team Head at Ignite Solutions
User-friendly and easy to implement

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. It is used as part of the network security and protects our clients.

• "This solution is very easy to implement and use. The interface is user-friendly."
  • "The reporting capability needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I try to push the use of this product because sometimes, the complicated solutions like Cisco ISE sometimes make the customers feel annoyed. My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that if the budget allows it, the entire security solution should be made up of Fortinet products. They integrate well and it will be better overall. A complete and secure solution will include products like FortiSandbox and FortiAnalyzer as well. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
RS
Senior Cybersecurity Solution Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
It is a scalable product and the technical support is excellent

• "The initial setup was easy and straightforward."
  • "The dashboard needs to improve."

What other advice do I have?

The good thing about FortiNAC is that it's more vendor agnostic. And then we have the deployed FortiNAC activate solution, which are different kinds of firewalls, which works perfectly fine. On a scale from one to 10, my rating for this program will be a nine. Additional features that I would like to see included in the next release of this solution is more integration with third-party products and probably some improvements on the dashboard.
Ahmed-Fawzy
Sr. Network Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Has a good interface that is easy to use and has good features

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior network architect and our company is a reseller of FortiNAC. This is a new product for me and we'll be starting implementation shortly. We've been testing the product and I'm just finishing the course. I'll be implementing for our client which is a medium-size company.

What is most valuable?

The interface is good and simple to use. Some of the ideas presented on the online course could be clearer, like policy creation. But the interface and other features are very good.

What needs improvement?

I think that the course content could be improved, it's not that simple to work through. I'm an expert on Cisco ISE. And also I have CCIE on Cisco. I made a comparison between Cisco ISE and FortiNAC. Cisco ISE has full integration but FortiNAC…
MA
Asst. Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good usability and security, but technical support needs to be faster

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. My role is security and I deal with products to protect data centers. FortiNAC makes up part of the security solution in a data center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are usability and security.

What needs improvement?

The response and resolution time for technical support issues need to be improved. Support overall needs to be a little faster.

I have two years of experience with FortiNAC.

FortiNAC is a stable product.

Scalability depends on licensing. Our customers vary in size…
JF
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Orchestrates automatic responses to a wide range of networking events

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for micro-segmentation in the network and authentication. We typically install this solution for medium-sized companies.

• "Fortinet FortiNAC is both scalable and stable."
  • "The GUI is a little bit strange — different than other Fortinet products."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to carefully read over the documentation pack because it's really great — I Absolutely love it. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.
See 1 more Fortinet FortiNAC Reviews
Download our free Network Access Control (NAC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Aruba Networks, and more!