FortiNAC Review

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that we are using it as a network access control (NAC), preventing external devices from plugging into the network or foreign computers from joining the network.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

When it works, it's great. It keeps things off the network which are supposed to be off the network.

What is most valuable?

When it works, doing what it's supposed to.

What needs improvement?

Not using a Java front-end would be fantastic. It takes forever to load the system up and get in there to configure everything. It is too slow to do anything at all.

The stability is relatively poor, as it has taken us roughly 12 months to get the network access control to be functional. It took us six months to get the USB lockdown to work appropriately. It still false flags mice, etc. On top of it, it broke once we finally got the network access control working. It literally took us 12 months for people to be blocked on an Ethernet connection, and it takes about 90 seconds to knock them off. Even then, it's only 50/50. We have escalated this every week for 12 months, and I'm not sure we'll be renewing this contract.

The technical support is bad. We've had to escalate to Tier 2 and Tier 3. My customer relationship manager on the other side of this has stopped returning phone calls and emails, because there has been such a constant back and forth.

We didn't have something prior. We had someone do a security audit on us, and they made some recommendations of things that we were missing. We contacted a managed service provider to recommend things to fix these issues, and this was one of those things. We went with what the managed service provider recommended as a solution along with having a short timeframe.

The initial setup was highly complex. Every time you get one piece to work, everything else breaks. We have not been able to get a full solution in place.

We used a managed service provider to help get everything up and running.

The process was frustrating. The managed a lot of our network as is, and they've done several of these setups. They moved from the previous version to the newest version, and they have even stopped recommending it as a solution because they don't want to do this again with another customer.

What other advice do I have?

Look into the complexity of using tools. Anything that is difficult to manage will probably be painful to maintain.

We have a very aggressive roadmap with a fairly mature security posture.