Fortinet FortiClient Review

Competitive pricing, centralized console, and useful Fortinet fabric to secure and track the movement of data through our network

What is our primary use case?

We use it for securing all of our endpoints as they move behind our firewall and outside our firewall or in and out of our network. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Having a centralized console is a valuable feature. The Fortinet fabric is also very valuable where all different pieces talk together to secure our network and track the North, South, East, and West movement of files and data through our network.

What needs improvement?

Its stability can be improved. It is not as reliable as I would like it to be. There are times when things don't work quite right.

Our biggest pain point is not related to Fortinet FortiClient and the whole scheme of things. It is related to one of the additional services called FortiGuard. They are the arm that does all of the updates to definitions, keeps all the signatures updated, and responds to new threats and whatnot. What we have found is that they react quickly, but sometimes their solutions aren't compatible with all of the components of the Fortinet security suite, specifically around FortiSandbox.

I have been using this solution for about eight months.

It is not as reliable as I would like. Its reliability is around 95%. There are times when things don't work quite right.

We're a relatively small company, and we haven't expanded really large. We're in the 500 or less range, and it works fine for our environment. I don't know how scalable it is. We will continue to use it in the foreseeable future.

They have been responsive. Sometimes, it takes them a little while to understand what the issues are. Fortinet right now has a little bit of growing pain. They have acquired a lot of different technologies over the last 18 months, and it hasn't been an absolutely smooth integration between all of those different products, support infrastructures, and developers.

Its deployment was complex and drawn out. It took a long time.

Its pricing is good. One thing that has always attracted us to the Fortinet range of products is that their pricing is very competitive.

Our particular licensing is on a yearly basis. However, as part of this project, we did pre-purchase three years of maintenance and support at a fairly significant discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. They are developing more EDP as it comes out, and they are staying on track with their development side and current trends.

I would recommend others to talk to Fortinet Professional Services before using a local professional. What we found as part of our long implementation was that the local professionals generally have a very good grasp of one area but not in bringing the fabric together, where you have the EMS, Folder Manager, Sandbox, all the firewalls, and other things coming together. There may be some out there who are good at it, but we ran into a number that didn't have a grasp across the whole thing, and we ended up talking directly to Fortinet Professional Services.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient an eight out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiClient reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Sophos EPP Suite
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.