Fortinet FortiEDR Review

Straightforward, easy to maintain, and works as per our expectations

What is our primary use case?

We had a ransomware attack in 2017, and that's when we went with enSilo, which is now called FortiEDR. It helps us to detect the hash files and all that. So far, it's really good. It detects any kind of anomaly. If any installation is happening, it checks the process and everything else and lets us know how it works.

What is most valuable?

It notifies us if there's any suspicious file on any PC. If any execution or similar kind of thing is happening, it just alerts us. It doesn't only alert. It also blocks the execution until we allow it. We check whether the execution is legitimate or not, and then approve it or keep it blocked. This gives us a little bit of control over this mechanism.

Fortinet FortiEDR is also very straightforward and easy to maintain.

What needs improvement?

They can include the automation for the realtime updates. We have a network infrastructure with remote sites. Whenever they send updates, they are not automated. We have to go into the console and push those updates. I wish it was more automated. The update file is currently around 31 MB. It could be smaller.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is really good.

It is scalable. Currently, around 1500 users are using it.

The support has gone down a little bit since Fortinet acquired enSilo. Earlier, because they were a small company, they used to pay more attention to the customers and proactively contact us for certain things, like product updates. The support structure has now changed. Now, it's a big umbrella. Fortinet is a big fish, so they can't contact you as much because they have more clients. As enSilo, it was a smaller footprint, and it was kind of personalized support.

The initial setup was simple. The deployment time depends on how big the implementation is. Ours is a big organization. It took us a week to deploy to our systems, and that's obviously because we were pushing those agents. Some of our sites are so remote that they can only have 1MB lines. So, when you push the agent, it obviously takes time.

We have a small team of only seven people for implementation. One dev person deals with it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are quite happy with this product. It basically works the way we want it since we have installed it. It's as per expectations.

I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Fortinet FortiEDR reviews from users
...who compared it with SentinelOne
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike and others in Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR). Updated: June 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.