Fortinet FortiSIEM (AccelOps) Review

It provides intelligent alerting and the out-of-the-box rules don't require much tuning or management overhead.

Valuable Features

• The automation piece -- its ability to dynamically discover which services need to be monitored and to automatically setup the appropriate monitoring.
  • We also like the intelligence behind the alerting; we like the out-of-the-box rules that don’t require a lot of tuning.
  • The product doesn’t require a lot of manpower, so there isn’t a lot of tuning or management overhead required for it.

Improvements to My Organization

We outsource a lot of our IT. We are able to monitor performance and security and to perofrm audits to ensure our outsourcing partners are doing what we are pay them for.

Room for Improvement

The way that upgrades are handled could be a bit cleaner. That might have been improved in the new version, but where we are, the upgrade process takes the system down for the period of the upgrade. So the lost data during that downtime can be frustrating.

Use of Solution

I've used it for four years.

We did, but AccelOps were very, very helpful. I don’t think the product was configured or tuned for an environment as large as ours, so there were some performance issues at first, but they were very helpful and they had developers and engineers on the phone with us to help resolve those issues. They even used the experience with us as a test case to build improvements into the product.

No issues since the product was installed.

No issues since the product was installed.

Their sales people have always been helpful and friendly, and they’ve given us some things for free, like training. It’s been good. We’ve even had some of the higher-ups at AccelOps call us with new product offerings for us because they know our organization so well.

I would say it’s more on the average side. Once I can get someone engaged they’re good about getting the problem solved, but sometimes it’s hard to get someone on the line to help resolve your problem.

No, this is the first solution like this that we’ve had.

The setup was straightforward, but the performance issues we had were the biggest stumbling block. In terms of getting it out of the box and up and running, it really wasn’t difficult at all.

Implementation Team

I did it myself in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The pricing is very, very affordable. For the value you get, I think it’s about the cheapest solution on the market.

Other Advice

I think the biggest thing to understand is that it’s like a Swiss Army knife. You get a lot of tools for a lot of things, but don’t expect it to be a killer app in any one area.