GFI LanGuard Review

Collects good information from each workstation pertaining to all of the components of the network

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us is for patch management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the vulnerability information pertaining to all of the components of the network. It is good for the information that we can collect from each workstation.

What needs improvement?

The main improvement that the manufacturer should consider is to make it so this solution will not be limited to the local area network only. Currently, it is limited to only the LAN. If there was an option for managing workstations or servers outside the LAN, that would be a great improvement. This option could be enabled by having a means of the roaming work station to the central management dashboard or to the server. That, for us, is the most important feature that is missing.

We have been using this product for about three years.

GFI Languard is very stable.

The product is pretty scalable.

I had only about two occasions when I needed to contact GFI customer support and they were very helpful and quick.

While we still use this product, we are currently considering switching to another product, so it really is the other way around. It is not that the product is bad. The main reason for considering making the change is because the solution is limited only to the LAN, and I have many remote users who are not on my LAN. So while I can do patch management or configuration management, and vulnerability assessment on the devices on the LAN, I cannot do it for these roaming users. That is the main reason for considering changing the solution.

The initial setup is somewhere between difficult and complex. The installation itself is straightforward, but you do need to do some configuration in order to get a proper view of all your computers and devices on the network. So it is not very complicated, but it is also not just simple and straightforward.

I really don't know which products in the patch management category to compare LanGuard to directly, but generally, GFI LanGuard has very fair pricing compared to other similar solutions out there. It is very fair and the product is very good.

I currently have experience with only this one patch management system, GFI LanGuard. I am considering switching to a new system, and I wanted to compare GFI LanGuard to IBM BigFix to be sure it will improve our company. At this point, I am only at the stage of collecting information.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to people considering it as long as they were only going to be using it for a local area network only. In that case, it is a great solution at a great price.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate GFI LanGuard as an eight out of ten.

The thing that I learned using this product is that you need to be very organized and fastidious in order to make the most of the tool and get the full clear picture of your network.