Google Firebase Review

We use this technology to build mobile applications and to communicate with our back-end infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

We already use this technology in our company to build our Android and iOS mobile applications and to communicate with our back-end infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Google Cloud Functions: Allows us to create functions without any infrastructure apart from the Google App Engine. These functions can have several kinds of triggers:

• Realtime Database Triggers
  • Firebase Authentication Triggers
  • Firebase Analytics Triggers
  • Cloud Storage Triggers
  • Cloud Pub/Sub Triggers
  • HTTP Triggers

Google Cloud Auth: Allows our Android and iOS mobile applications and JavaScript codes to make authentication with almost no effort. The reason is because the Auth has already implemented it for us.

Google Cloud Real-time Database: Allows our Android and iOS mobile applications and JavaScript codes to record and retrieve data with persistence and minimum effort.

What needs improvement?

In my humble opinion, Google Cloud Functions (which is still a BETA version) needs to have more control over the uploaded functions. That is, it needs more options for controlling the functions itself. I might think about some characteristics that can improve a lot this:

- A START button to start the function. This button should be
incorporated in each one of the functions that the developer created and
deployed in Google Cloud Functions;
- A STOP button to stop the function. This button should be incorporated
in each one of the functions that the developer created and
deployed in Google Cloud Functions;
- A RESTART button following the save behavior as above buttons with
RESTART capability.
- A better and improved log view. The actual LOG view has a Slow
performance to show the log items and also it doesn't allow fast searching
for past log items. For example, whenever we need to look for a block of
log items that happened in the past, it's very difficult to access that
block of code.
- Capability to save the log to an external tool.

I did not find any stability issues yet.

Our actual phase in development (MVP), doesn't allow me to give my opinion on this point.

Currently, it has not been necessary to contact technical support, due to the vast and informative documentation with Google Standard.

We tried to use the AWS cloud. They have a very good solution, although the documentation is a little verbose, in my humble opinion.

The setup is very easy and straightforward. You just need to follow the documentation from the Google App Engine.

They have a free tier that will cover most projects. For more intensive use, you pay as you use it, but the price is very cheap.

We evaluated Amazon AWS, but due to the reasons explained above, especially the flowery documentation, we decided to go through Google App Engine and Google Firebase. We have no regrets at all.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that they should go ahead with Google App Engine and Google Firebase.