Google Firebase Review

Great interface, easy to use, but needs consistent pricing and cost estimation is difficult

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is the backend for the mobile app.

How has it helped my organization?

We tried to save costs by cutting some unnecessary operational things in the infrastructure and in the backend.

What is most valuable?

The main feature for us is that the tools are all in one place and that you don't have to bother with the backend system and the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

As we were not able to calculate the amount of traffic and the bandwidth, we were not able to calculate the pricing accurately. There was no way of knowing how the rise in traffic would impact the price.

We have been using this solution for three months.

While we used this solution, it was quite stable and it worked. We have had five people trying and working with this platform.

We haven't tested the scalability performance of this platform. We did not do any stress or any other load tests. Although I have not tested this myself, I have read that there are some problems with the scalability.

We did not have a need to contact the technical support.

We are using Mircosoft Azure in parallel with Google Firebase.

The initial setup was easy to install and it is easy to use, very friendly.

We implemented ourselves. We did not use any third party.

It is not easy to calculate the cost per copy, use or if the load rose dramatically we did not know how that would impact the final price.

The pricing for the authentication is based on SMS rates and is not consistent all over the world. For example, the cost in the US and Canada is one cent, but six cents in Serbia and the rest of the world. This should be adjusted.

We did evaluate other options, including AWS, and one more platform based in Python.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product for prototyping, with a nice interface and is easy to work with, but difficult to predict the cost.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.