HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Stable and scalable; very dependable

What is our primary use case?

These are units that are a two or three layer solution. Since it's from HP, we have a lifetime warranty for these switches, unless the product is already phased out. But in most cases it takes a long time before they're out of a cycle. Most of these are quite durable. We are customers of HPE Ethernet Switches and I'm head of technical support.

What needs improvement?

I think this solution could be improved if the installation could be made more secure. From our point of view, HP could have SNMP product softwares that would allow us to track all the assets, and then to connect, to identify our equipment. There are options which would allow us to secure the equipment. I think with the enterprise solution, if it's HP, then there is a need to integrate it with an HP product for it to work. The only way to simplify this is with VLANs and then routing, and then let the systems take over when it comes to firewalls and other things. Implementation of those things would allow us to have tighter security.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

It's an enterprise solution so it's stable.

It's mostly quite scalable and quite straightforward.

If we have problems, we tend to resolve it ourselves. Sometimes there are bugs but it gets sorted out after a while.

We previously used IBM but they gave up on those products and sold the PC and printer business. We started using HP before that happened.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. Once we have the manuals, and can enable the VLAN and routing functions, we can set the redundancy, our STP, so that from switch one to switch two, you can set four lines to be redundant. In the event that one line is cut, the others will take over. We can also do a link aggregate where you combine the different lines together to increase the bandwidth. These are mostly the straightforward functions that we use as far as the switches are concerned.

In terms of deployment time, we usually define the IP addresses for the switches so we can access it remotely. Then it's a straightforward thing. There's a plan for us to do some more straightforward definition in the coming months. We do the deployments ourselves. We currently have between 200 - 300 users. I use five or six people and then we can deploy in a week or two.

What other advice do I have?

There's the familiarity factor for us. It's something that we hold on to. If you know the product is stable, and it's not outdated then you'll continue to use it. I think it's on par with other vendors like Dell. I'm very satisfied with everything. I've been using HP for a long time already and I think it's quite reliable, even my printer is HP.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users