HPE Ethernet Switches Overview

HPE Ethernet Switches is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: HPE Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is HPE Ethernet Switches?

HP has created the most open, integrated and software-defined networking portfolio and ecosystem of its kind – driving simplification with networks that understand, adapt to and protect your business applications in real-time. Only HP extends the momentum of software-defined networking everywhere–from the mobile edge to the heart of data centers.

HPE Ethernet Switches is also known as HP Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE Ethernet Switches Customers
Emirates Palace Hotel
HPE Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "Licensing fees are on a yearly basis."
  • "This is an expensive product."
  • "There are free software updates and there is a lifetime warranty for a few of the switch series."

Massimo Ciofi
ICT Manager at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Good management system, good support, and guaranteed for life

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the office network connection.

• "What I like the most is the management system integrated with the HP system."
  • "When we have a lot of clients on the system, we lose signal and have to restart our antenna."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to draw the network system before calling a technician. It's necessary to do a good job. The price is not the only thing to consider when making your decision. The switches are guaranteed for life, it's a great solution. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
SherifHanna
Managing Director - CEO at AINSystems
Cost-effective, easy to use, and the technical support is improving

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for video surveillance.

• "The technical support for this solution has improved from what it was."
  • "We have had some rare occasions with glitches, so the stability can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. My advice to anybody researching this type of solution is to not go for the cheap solution. Go for the right one. You get what you pay for. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about HPE Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PK
CIO at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Extremely stable with good technical support and relatively fair pricing

What is our primary use case?

We're using all HPE network devices. All the core network infrastructure depends on this one solution.

• "The solution is very, very stable."
  • "The installation can be quite complex. However, that may not be the fault of HP and is rather more related to the way our infrastructure is arranged."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with HP. I can recommend it to middle size companies due to the fact that it's stable and the prices are quite fair. It's also very popular as a product, so it's easy to find experts to manage it. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It really isn't lacking, from our point of view, and has never given us any trouble.
MS
Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Stable and scalable; very dependable

What is our primary use case?

These are units that are a two or three layer solution. Since it's from HP, we have a lifetime warranty for these switches, unless the product is already phased out. But in most cases it takes a long time before they're out of a cycle. Most of these are quite durable. We are customers of HPE Ethernet Switches and I'm head of technical support.

• "Stable and scalable."
  • "Installation could be made more secure."

What other advice do I have?

There's the familiarity factor for us. It's something that we hold on to. If you know the product is stable, and it's not outdated then you'll continue to use it. I think it's on par with other vendors like Dell. I'm very satisfied with everything. I've been using HP for a long time already and I think it's quite reliable, even my printer is HP. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
BA
IT Manager at a maritime company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and configure and has a lifetime warranty

What is our primary use case?

Most of our switches are located within the local office.

• "The best feature of this solution is the lifetime warranty."
  • "This solution needs to support software-defined networking."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to HPE switches, as a recommendation, in the end it depends on the requirements. They have to know exactly what they need because HPE has all types and all levels of switches. They keep changing models, and sometimes we have challenges because we find out that two years later, the model is discontinued. Because of this, I say that it is important to purchase the latest model, and not one that is two or three years old because in another year it will be discontinued. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
SC
Owner at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Good for network-based storage and stacks well, but security on the lower-end models should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the HPE Ethernet Switches are one of the network infrastructure products that we implement for our customers. They are used from edge to core and I usually implement them for storage traffic and IP over ethernet, like NFC, iSCSI, or SAS.

• "The product's stacking technology is stable and works well."
  • "Authentication and other security features are not easily satisfied using the lower-end switches."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product works very well, we don't have any problems, and I can recommend it. Although people can have a lot of trouble with these switches, they are human management issues. This is why we are careful to choose the correct products and to do the implementation and integration correctly. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
TX
IT at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Fast, stable, and comparable to other options on the market

• "The speed is very fast."
  • "The solution is very comparable to Huawei, however, it could be more scalable. Huawei is easier to scale."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using. When you compare it to other switches, there are no real big differences. It may have a few different specifications here or there, however, largely, it's comparable to everything else that is also on the market. In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight. I've been largely quite pleased with its overall capabilities so far. I'd recommend the solution to other companies and users.
Jean-Pierre-Gerber
System Engineering Manager at pronet-engineering GmbH
Reseller
Easy to stack multiple switches for additional ports, but technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the customer's assurances in medium-size businesses. The deployment model that we are using is on-premises, but it is going more and more in the cloud direction.

• "The most valuable feature is the IRF."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see them include more features like the Aruba solution, to have more possibilities concerning the software design."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not to invest in this switch. Aruba, which is also HPE, has a great switch. Aruba is taking over these types of switches because of the DLAN and WLAN. I agree that HPE provides good products but I would go with Aruba OS. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
See 14 more HPE Ethernet Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free HPE Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.