HPE Ethernet Switches Review

We chose HP as they were able to come up with some solutions that were a little outside of the box when things didn’t quite fit.

What is most valuable?

I would say, to start with, the most valuable feature is that HP is not too different from existing systems. You don’t have to change too much the mode of operation that the ops teams are used to, and the command interfaces are workable.

How has it helped my organization?

We’re still in the implementation phase.

What needs improvement?

We’ve been getting fixes for things that were missing initially, but v6 support is there and has everything we need.

Because this is a modular device, we feel we can use scale in the future. The IRF is also important to us.

Overall good. We’re running into some issues when looking at beta code, something HP isn't focused on. The support people don’t want to talk too much about that.

We’re basically trying to look at an openstack infrastructure solution. We’re using it on a voice-over-infrastructure, supporting IMS. We’re using a Cisco solution right now.

I would say it’s no more complex than anything else, so we’re learning that people are protecting systems a bit differently.

We looked at -

• Cisco
  • Juniper
  • Alcatel Lucent
  • HP
  • Aresta
  • Erickson

We chose HP because they met most of the criteria that we were looking at, and they were able to come up with some solutions that were a little outside of the box when things didn’t quite fit. They were more proactive on the sales/engineering side and with pre-solution support.

What other advice do I have?

You should look for high performance, low maintenance, open flow, and XLAN when choosing a solution. Compatibility with other products is also very important. Some routing protocols were required.

Overall, the solution is a little more complicated than we initially wanted, but it’s pretty good. It’s going to be a learning and teaching experience for service providers. Solutions are there, but they’re not always the same methodologies for the same businesses.

More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users