HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Cost-effective, easy to use, and the technical support is improving

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for video surveillance.

What is most valuable?

The best part about this solution is the price.

This solution is easy to use.

The technical support for this solution has improved from what it was.

What needs improvement?

We have had some rare occasions with glitches, so the stability can be improved.

We have been using this solution for about a year and a half.

This solution is stable, but on the rare occasion, we have had glitches like dropped packets.

We do not tolerate serious issues in the backbone or infrastructure. We do not go for something cheap and hoping that it will work, especially when it comes to networking.

I cannot comment on the scalability because it is not something that we consider. When we decide on a solution, we go for it completely, from the beginning to the end. We start with the complete solution on day one, as opposed to starting small and then looking to scale it later on.

The number of users for each of our switches depends on the circumstances. In some sites, we have ten or twenty users. In other sites, depending on how big it is, like an industrial facility or a hotel, we do not know. Many of our solutions are used in retail or hospitality environments.

We do not speak with HPE technical support because everything has to go through the distributor.

Most of the time, we use solutions from Cisco. They are well supported in Egypt. However, new regulations in Egypt require that if we are buying a product from abroad then we have to be a partner, and have a letter from the vendor to indicate this. Is has to do with the ability to provide local support.

Because we are not a partner with Cisco, we need to purchase equipment from the local partner. This means that we have to work with their fees and time schedule. Paying in advance is not a problem, but you have to wait for an unspecified period of time to receive your equipment. They won't give you an estimate as to the duration.

We switched to HPE simply because they are easier to get than Cisco or Sophos.

Our deployment took a couple of days.

We have not had to maintain our switches, except for one time when we had a bad experience. It was a long time ago, and we had HPE switches from a system integrator. One had a problem and it was under warranty, but instead of replacing the switch, they started swapping pieces one at a time. This switch was in a very crucial data center and it was very difficult to get there.

Ultimately, we lost the customer and the system integrator lost their reputation. I think that HPE lost a lot because it was much easier to replace the entire unit instead of replacing one piece at a time. They ended up replacing entire modules. Since that time, we don't rely on local partners. We talk to HPE directly or we collect the whole unit and send it to HPE.

Our in-house team handled the implementation.

Licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

These switches are not as stable as those from Cisco.

We were looking at some switches from Alcatel-Lucent, but they are not popular in Egypt.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

My advice to anybody researching this type of solution is to not go for the cheap solution. Go for the right one. You get what you pay for.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users