Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE StoreOnce Review
The cost savings of not having to continually purchase additional shelf space has been the driving force of staying with this product.

Valuable Features

The deduplication feature is awesome. The storage space has been cut down by at least 50% and on some instance greater reduction has been achieved. Here is a current example showing the space savings: Actual User Data Store 44.9TB, Actual Size on Disk 4.0TB with an 11.3 dedupe ratio. This was only one of my libraries on the StoreOnce 4430 device.

Improvements to My Organization

Please refer to the answer above about valuable features. The space saving on storage of actual user data also has a cost savings attached to it. We do not have to extend the actual storage space as quickly now due to the space savings of the deduplication feature.

Room for Improvement

The auto load balancing between VTL Libraries has been not as efficient as it should have been. I have manually load balanced between my libraries to maintain a tight control.There have also been bug fixes in the past for their auto load balancing feature. I would like to see this greatly improved so that I feel that it is trustworthy enough to utilize this feature.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one and half years in an enterprise environment with HP DataProtector v7.0

No issues during deployment of the 4430 device into the enterprise environment.

Not with this current model 4430, but with a previous model we did have stability issues and these have been resolve with the 4430 model.

No issues with scalability. We purchased an additional 20TB shelf with the 4430 device (which came with a 20TB shelf included in the package we purchased).

HP’s customer service is outstanding. Turnaround time on parts for us is four hours and we also have them in less time than that. The HP service representatives are knowledgeable, friendly and are very easy to speak to. They are people who don't read from a script, but actually have a working knowledge of the equipment.

It's outstanding.

No, and we chose StoreOnce as we are currently an HP enterprise environment.

In most ways it was straightforward, however, you need to be an experienced network administrator to install this device.

Implementation Team

It was done as an in-house implementation. However, we currently work with an HP partner in all our enterprise purchases. They're called High Performance Technologies, Inc. in Palm City, Florida, and the IT team at this business are outstanding and they all keep up to date with their HP certifications. They work with HP to obtain the best pricing for the equipment we need to ascertain. With this business relationship, comes years of trust and we know that they understand our enterprise network topology and make recommendations based off that long term knowledge.

ROI

The cost savings of not having to continually purchase additional shelf space has been the driving force of staying with this outstanding product.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The original cost was approximately $250,000. Included in that was the device itself and 40TB of storage space.

Other Solutions Considered

We did evaluate other options but due to the fact that HP has set the standard, we stayed with them.

Other Advice

I've had little to no issues with either the StoreOnce 4430 device or the DataProtector software. I would highly recommend this type of backup system for enterprise environments.

Read the documentation provided by HP on their website and research the web to avoid any possible issues during implementation.

1 Comment

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Wow - thank you for the honest feedback on StoreOnce. StoreOnce is a hidden gem in the HP Storage portfolio? For those that don't know the portfolio well, here's a blog post with a good overview. Be sure to watch the videos too: http://hpstorage.me/1Ff6fB0

Like (0)13 June 15
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE StoreOnce?

Our experts can help. 239,056 professionals have used our research on 5,957 solutions.