HPE StoreOnce Overview

HPE StoreOnce is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Disk Based Backup Systems. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain): HPE StoreOnce vs Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)

What is HPE StoreOnce?

HP StoreOnce Backup is a data backup solution that provides a consistent, high-performance, scale-out architecture for your entire enterprise. Reduce the amount of backup data capacity by 95 percent, and choose between powerful dedicated appliances for data centers, or flexible virtual appliances for smaller and remote offices.

HPE StoreOnce is also known as HP StoreOnce.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

HPE StoreOnce Customers
Eurobank Serbia
HPE StoreOnce Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE StoreOnce pricing:
  • "We have got a perpetual license, and we have access to all the features. If you are using cloud banks, you can store the internal data in HPE Cloud if needed. You can offload the data to the HPE Cloud. It is a licensed product. We have got around 10 TB of cloud bank storage with a one-time payment. We specifically took 10 TB for very critical offsite backups. We can also increase it in blocks if needed."
  • "The cost of HPE StoreOnce is very expensive."
  • "There are costs for additional storage and space."
  • "Price-wise, it comes with a high price tag when compared to other products."

Zoher Abuzar
IT Infrastructure at Nakheel
An extremely stable solution that's fast and offers a good deduplication ratio

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup storage.

• "The speed and deduplication ratio are two of the most valuable features of the solution."
  • "The appliance doesn't have the global deduplication, it has StoreOnce deduplication. It does not deduplicate across the appliance, it will deduplicate in one particular store. With the global deduplication, I could store more data."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model. If you purchase the product, you will have peace of mind. You don't have to worry about the product at all. My only advice is, get it installed by an HP consultant, not by a third-party or partner, because the HP team will give you the correct advice before implementing. I strongly recommend going through the HP publishing best practices guide, for each and every hardware they have released as well. StoreOnce also has a best practices guide from HP. It will be a 10-20 page document. Go through it, and it will really help you to architect or…
Asanka Karunanayake
Head of Hosting & LAN Services at Lanka Communication Services (Pvt) Ltd.
Very reliable, good deduplication and compression ratio, and supports the HPE Catalyst protocol

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our virtual workload back up. We are also a service provider, and we provide backup assistance to clients. We use StoreOnce for that backup too.

• "Deduplication and compression are in a good ratio. It supports the HPE Catalyst protocol, which is much faster than NFS and other protocols. We use CommVault and Veeam, and these two solutions support the Catalyst protocol very well and are integrated at high speed. It is faster than normal access."
  • "When it comes to upgrading, it always goes block-wise. One block is 48 TB raw capacity. It would be good if they can include a smaller capacity for SMB customers. Currently, it is not possible to increase in a smaller capacity. You have to buy the exact same unit. It would be great if they can provide a smaller next block. There are around 20 hard disks, and it would be really helpful if we can add 10 hard disks initially and 10 hard disks later."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. For higher data capacity, we can have around 90 terabytes, and roughly, we can take 75 terabytes of effective capacity. It can do deduplication. As per the papers, it will do 20:1, which may not be realistic, but we have seen 8:1 kind of deduplication. Even if it was 2:1, it will be 140. So, deduplication gives a massive capacity. I would rate HPE StoreOnce a nine out of ten. It has been very good so far.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: June 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enayat Galsulkar
Senior Information Security Consultant at Future Telecom
An expensive product that is slow, needs improvement to the interface, should have cloud storage capability, and the support is terrible

What is our primary use case?

HPE StoreOnce was being used as our backup and recovery solution. The software we were using was HP NetBackup, which is Symantec NetBackup. The IT infrastructure we back up consists of close to 20 servers includes database servers, a web email server, and a REST application. This is a tape backup solution.

• "If you have a large enough storage capacity then you can take an ample amount of data."
  • "The web interface, ease of use, and GUI all need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Of my friends, colleagues, and peers, I don't know anybody who is still using HPE StoreOnce. They are typically using software-driven backup solutions like Acronis. I would not recommend this product to anybody. I would rate this solution a three out of ten.
Chethana  Kahandugoda
Deputy General Manager at Lb
Good technical support, and the data storage requirements are impressive

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial organization and HPE StoreOnce backs up our data on a daily basis. Our entire infrastructure is running on HPE's main server and this backup solution was implemented as part of it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it. However, I think that it is important to consider which backup software to use. If it does not support the capacity that the StoreOnce has then you will run into a problem. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Sheroz Ali
Data Center Implementation Engineer at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with a centralized interface, with upgrades regularly available on the webpage

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backing up data in the production process.

• "From a centralized system, I can manage the interface, the backup policies, and the status of the database."
  • "The repository should have an extension to connect to the cloud and deposit the backups."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product. We are customers but we have partners for purchasing only. I would recommend this product for its usage, the installation, the storage, and its management. It's easy to use compared to other products. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Chamith Perera
Senior Systems Specialist and Pre-Sales at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Powerful compression and deduplication capabilities, highly scalable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are the system integrators based in Qatar and this is one of the products that we provide to our customers as a backup solution. The primary use case is for data backup, mostly for virtualization infrastructure.

• "The most valuable features are the deduplication and compression capabilities."
  • "The GUI and its user-friendliness have some room for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

HPE has CloudBank capabilities. For example, it has 1.7 petabytes of CloudBank storage. For anyone who is looking for a long-term archive, as well as a backup solution, this is the ideal product. It comes with a three-year warranty and it's stable when it comes to base start-up solutions. This solution offers both on-premises and public cloud deployments. If the customer needs on-premises backup then it is capable of that, or if the customer requires long-term retention, for example, five years, or for ten years, then they can keep the data in an archive system such as cloud backup or cloud…
FP
Sr. Infra. Support Egineer / Tech .Consultant at CANAR Office Systems, Co.
A robust solution that is easy to set up and configure

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner and reseller for HP products, and we integrate various solutions for our customers. One of the areas that I work with is implementing storage solutions, and this is one of the products that my customers use. This solution is used to emulate data relief for an MSL4048 and is deployed on-premises.

• "The implementation is straightforward."
  • "The solution would be improved if it could also be used as a data store for VMware."

What other advice do I have?

For anybody looking for a robust backup solution that emulates a tape library, this is the product that they should go for. The only thing is that they cannot remove the data because it is appliance-based. They cannot, for example, manually remove the tape and bring it to another location. They would need to use replication for this. This product is not perfect, but I am quite satisfied with it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
AC
Project and Services Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Delivers robust, flexible enterprise-wide data protection

What is our primary use case?

Our client is a government office. They use StoreOnce to store information about the weather as they specialize in meteorology data. Most of our clients are medium-sized enterprises.

• "The hardware is strong and all the equipment has a good infrastructure. Personally, I think it's the best storage product in HPE for small to medium-sized businesses."
  • "HPE StoreOnce should come with a detailed installation guide."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend HPE StoreOnce — it's a good product. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE StoreOnce a rating of ten.
See 4 more HPE StoreOnce Reviews