HPE StoreOnce Review

Excellent deduplication ratios. Overall it did not live up to expectations.

What is most valuable?

Excellent deduplication ratios.

How has it helped my organization?

It did not improve the way my organization functions: It was just an alternative method to accomplish what was being done a different way.

What needs improvement?

The UI is rather dated and not intuitive. Also, the setup is rather complex and you need to understand the product to best leverage it.

The GUI has a look from the traditional HP interfaces of 10 years ago. The layout is confusing as it is designed for someone that really understands the underpinnings of StoreOnce. The P6500 is basically a pair of DL380 servers running a Linux distribution clustered with all the necessary hardware and then is presented as a single StoreOnce appliance. Many of the menus in the GUI provide drill down capabilities that can get you deep into the inner workings of the appliance but, unless you know what you are doing, it is more there for support to utilize. While the appliance is a single cluster you are really working with each node individually further complicating management of the device. You need to put some thought into how you will distribute the workload across the nodes because the appliance does not provide any mechanisms for load balancing. While HPE claims StoreOnce will work with CommVault, our experience was that the use case was very narrow. While the P6500 has some beefy hardware the software is the Achilles heel. We found that as the dataset grows the P6500 becomes bogged down in housecleaning tasks that conflict with the incoming workload.

3 months.

The product did not scale well and had several issues where it bogged down under load. When used with a non HPE backup product, you really need to optimize the StoreOnce and your backup product to work well together.

Support was good, better than average, but left a little room for improvement.

We were using native backup (Commvault), which was unreliable. We selected this as a method to improve and better scale our backup deduplication, but it turned out StoreOnce introduced enough inconsistencies and incompatibilities, we actually went back to Commvault’s native deduplication.

You need vendor assistance to get the product properly set up and configured.

Vendors supplied resources for install and initial configuration assistance.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand your use case very well, go over it in detail with the vendor and get commitments that it is compatible with your use case.

6500
More HPE StoreOnce reviews from users
...who compared it with Dell EMC Data Domain Boost
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Veritas and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.