What is most valuable?
- GUI-based accelerated API development
- Segregation of ownership and control for different stakeholders
- Self-service Developer Portal: a highly customizable portal based on Drupal CMS
- Security support for oAuth, basic authentication and keys
- High-performance solution when used with DataPower IDG. DataPower IDG can support 8K TPS per appliance
- Easy-to-implement, configurable API security and analytics
- LoopBack projects allow API creation using a datasource
This product has been designed very well and addresses many advanced use cases of API development in a collaborative environment, which are not yet available in other existing products, for example, Layer 7.
How has it helped my organization?
- Self-servicing portal allows users to explore APIs, create and manage keys. and manage subscriptions.
- Advance infrastructure load balancer/cluster management features
- GUI-based accelerated API development and deployments
What needs improvement?
- Production traffic monitoring features can be better.
- A few advanced API managementfeatures such as monetization and portal syndication are not yet available in the product, but are included in the product road map for the near future.
- API hosting needs a separate product (for example, DataPower) or Micro Gateway (a node js component). However, in a few cases, this can be seen as a better overall solution.
- Frequent product design changes were observed during the early stages of this product evolution; however, currently this product is very stable.
- A few minor quality issues were observed during the early stages of this product evolution; however, currently this product is very stable.
For how long have I used the solution?
I have used it for 1+ years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
Current versions are stable. However, a few minor issues were observed during the early stages of product evolution.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
No scalability issues were found.
How are customer service and technical support?
Technical support is 9/10:
- Highly responsive
- Quarterly enhancement/bug fix releases
- Detailed product documentation
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We previously used Apigee. We switched due to version upgrade cost issues and a need for performance improvement.
How was the initial setup?
Initial setup is very well documented and straightforward. However, please refer to API Management experts for the most-optimized solutions.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
It's available in SaaS and on-premise versions. This product comes in three offerings: Essentials, Professional & Enterprise.
As per the required API Management components, pricing and licensing might vary on a case-by-case basis.
Enables a cost-effective solution when implemented properly.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
Before choosing this product, we also evaluated CA Layer 7, Akana, and Mashery.
What other advice do I have?
API Connect is an easy-to-learn, very advanced, reliable, business-to-business API management product. However, understand your requirements clearly and use expert help for the most optimized yet secure solution.
The API Connect product comes with API management, developer portal, offline API development toolkit and a node js component called Micro Gateway. Licensing can differ for these components.
From an API development features perspective, API Connect and API Management might appear significantly different. However, inherently both products exhibit a very easy, refined and mature API implementation process. I would personally recommend to everyone to use API Connect over API management.