IBM API Connect Review

Provides DevOps integration and a catalog for microservices.

What is most valuable?

Most of the business value that we are getting out of this solution, is that it provides DevOps integration and a catalog for microservices. We are able to share those APIs instantly within the organization; even if we want to share it outside publicly, then we can have those capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a trend to move towards microservice-based solutions, where we have to decouple all our legacy SOA-based services, when sometimes it takes an iterative approach to come out with what you need. Instead of that, we have this microservices solution, where you can just enable the required part in quick delivery using DevOps. These are the main benefits of this product.

What needs improvement?

Mostly, I would like to see more tools that are DevOps-friendly. We would have more capability to interact with the catalog and inventories, so a more DevOps-friendly solution is needed.

Stability has still not matured. We are still growing with the industry. We will find out after some time how it is going. But, as of now, it's stable.

Right now, in terms of scalability, everything we have is on-premise. However, we have this Bluemix capability, with which we can scale as and when we need.

We have used IBM professional support/premium support. We use them for any of the solutions, such as if we need some guidance on the future roadmap as to how it's going, etc; we engage them. They are excellent. They are always not only there to help us resolve the problem, but also to be able to guide us as to how the trend is going and what we should start thinking in regards to those changes.

We have this monthly inter-tech meeting, where we go through as to what is going on in the market, how the industry is going, and how we can utilize that in order to start serving the business, with an expedited return on the investment. So, this API, DevOps, and microservices are the things which are happening right now.

The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are that they should be able to help us not just with solving problems, but they also need to advise us in terms of how the trends are moving and how we can be strategic partners, instead of it just being a one-time solution.

What other advice do I have?

Advice depends; if you have a preferred technology and IBM has a solution for that technology, then I'd definitely advise you to use more microservices with the API Connect and the DevOps, to provide quick returns for your business. It will be more valuable to you.

More IBM API Connect reviews from users
...who compared it with 3scale API Management
Learn what your peers think about IBM API Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.