IBM Cognos Dashboard Review

Scalable, reliable and fast with good on-demand reporting, but it needs to be more flexible and the price reduced

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Cognos Dashboard to control the internal processes.

What is most valuable?

The main feature that is useful is the on-demand report generation through the dashboard.

The user can customize and build their own reports, as well as get their own reports with the filters on. This capability is probably restrictive on the other dashboard, such as QlikView. They get a particular set of data.

On the backend we have, but complete data hives from which the user can pull in the data as per their requirement, which is not possible with other dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The price point is one of the major areas to be improved. Compared to other products in the market, they are on the higher side. They're not competitive enough.

The licensing is another area that can be improved to be like other providers who offer a license at an enterprise level for a number of users rather than an individual basis.

For me, I would like it to be more customizable. Even the dashboard can become customizable, similar to the way it is in BI, where a user can play with it if all the metrics are there. They can build their own dashboard the way want to see. If that kind of flexibility can be present in Cognos, it would be helpful. Not every user would want to look at the data in the same way and would want to customize it.

If someone was a team owner, they would look at the dashboard from a team perspective, or if they were a site owner, they would look at it from a site owner perspective. It gives flexibility to users to change the interface, to their requirements. If they get that flexibility, I think that that is something that would be positive.

Customization at the user end, as in not at the development side, but on the user's side, is something that needs improvement.

I have been working with this solution for three years.

We are using the most recent version.

Cognos is better than QlikView because of the speed. With QlikView, it takes a couple of seconds for the dashboard to refresh or to reload the data.

This is not the case with Cognos, it's quick enough. The user doesn't know that the refresh has happened.

It is scalable. The only thing is that the other service providers have come up with an enterprise license strategy that is based on the number of users that you have.

With other solutions, we can get the license for the enterprise, whereas with Cognos it is on an individual basis.

I have not reached out to technical support.

We are still using multiple data solutions. We have not completely switched to Cognos.

There are certain parts of it that are being worked on through Cognos and others that we are working with QlikView or Tableau or Microsoft BI.

These dashboards are complex. They have more than a hundred data collectors or data columns that data goes into.

It takes a little while to deploy.

Licensing is based on individual usage, and it is more expensive than other providers.

What other advice do I have?

Everything with Cognos is more cost-dependent. If I compare it with other products out there, such as Microsoft BI or QlikView, it's on a costlier side.

I'm not sure if a smaller enterprise could afford this solution. I would say it is currently because my organization is small for a large organization and we are able to use it.

I'm not sure if the smaller organizations are able to invest much in this particular product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Version 11
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Elastic, Qlik and others in Data Visualization. Updated: February 2021.
465,339 professionals have used our research since 2012.