Cogno’s number one advantage is security. It’s easily the best in the industry Cognos allows dynamic data filtering at access to reports and cubes, a powerful set of options.
Easy for maintenance and interpretation by the administrators
Very goog performance after the cube is built.
You can connect natively to many databases
Cognos has been in BI business from a long time and they are a solid company. They also seem to listen and react to customers problems.
Room for Improvement:
Building the cube can last a very long time, also during the cube-built very big temporary files are built, more than 4GB
If you build your cubes on Unix(we build our cubes on Unix (AIX)), at a certain volume of data, you can not be able to build a cube, additional tuning must be applied.
If your Database is dimensional then you don’t have to worry. I used to work with non-dimensional databases and from my experience it takes a full working day to create the cube.
Its write-back capabilities allow users to act immediately, achieving optimal economic results.
• Includes an in-memory analysis server (U.S.) high-speed powerful that connects quickly to operational data sources and creates a dimensional view of your business.
• Use drill-down capabilities and drill-up simple and flexible graphic displays for a quick review of key areas, such as customers, products and geographical areas.
• Includes bar charts, line, surface, radial, radar, bubble points and intervals, plus maps and maps thermal performance, to achieve high impact views.
• Provides self-service analytical tools through an intuitive, Web-based.
• Provides flexible delivery of information across the enterprise using interactive reports and dashboards Web-based
• Can be used with other IBM Cognos Express modules in a single, integrated solution for BI and Planning, designed specifically for midsize customers.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Jul 25 2012