IBM Db2 Review

Stability, scalability and security with high performance.

What is our primary use case?

Internet & Mobile banking database

E-Payroll & E-Statement solutions

Website database

What is most valuable?

A) The command set is almost the same in Windows and AIX operating systems, which greatly minimize the administration efforts to manage DB2 in both environments. Needless to say that working with the banking sector (which is my default playground) I need the ability to deal with many operating systems.

B) The ability to understand and interpret PL/SQL queries, with ease switching from Oracle to DB2.

C) Stability, scalability and security with high performance.

How has it helped my organization?

Our software products have to be PCI-DSS compliant, so encryption of customers' credit card numbers is a must-have feature. Using DB2 AWSE v11 enables us to do out-of-the-box encryption with ease.

What needs improvement?

Backing up databases from Windows and restoring them on AIX and vise-versa.

Support for migrating DB2 v9.7 to 11 in a single process with no intermediate versions jumping

More than five years.

IBM Knowledge Base is more than enough, I never asked them for support.

I used Oracle DB and am still using it with some of my customers, but Oracle administration is a nightmare compared to DB2.

The initial setup is straightforward, but securing your environment is a bit more complex.

Use DB2 Express for your development environment, but consider using Workgroup Server Edition if you need to federate two databases together or need to server a huge amount of data. If you plan to be PCI-DSS compliant, use AWSE.

MS SQL Server 2014 and Oracle 12g.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it to medium-to-large enterprise applications

2 visitors found this review helpful