IBM Db2 Database Overview

IBM Db2 Database is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: IBM Db2 Database vs SQL Server

What is IBM Db2 Database?
DB2 Enterprise for Linux, UNIX, and Windows is the ideal data server for the most demanding workloads. New XML support is designed to help firms minimize the time and effort it takes to persist and use their XML data reducing development costs and improving business agility.

IBM Db2 Database is also known as DB2.

IBM Db2 Database Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Db2 Database Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

IBM Db2 Database Customers
Knorr-Bremse, Mizuho Bank Ltd., Australian Government Department of Defence, SCHWENK Zement, Friedhelm Loh Group, YAZAKI Europe Limited, Ekornes ASA, Baldor Electric, VSN Systemen BV, Lion Brewery (Ceylon) PLC, PLANSEE Group, TE Connectivity, Hansgrohe SE, Openmatics, University of Toronto
IBM Db2 Database Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Db2 Database pricing:
  • "Db2 is less expensive than Oracle."
  • "Among Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and Db2, Microsoft SQL Server is the cheapest one, and Oracle is the most expensive one. Db2 is in the middle. As compared to SQL Server, its price could go down. It will be good for customers."
  • "We did not buy it. It came with our hardware without any complimentary maintenance. If I compare Db2 Database with Oracle Database, its price is lower than Oracle Database."
  • "We don't see what the specific price of the DB2 license is because we pay for the backup license as a package."

MA
Senior System Analyst at Thakral
MSP
Almost maintenance-free and less expensive, but lacking in the area of development tools and resources

What is our primary use case?

The primary uses for this product have to do with the card management system for banks. We are working mostly in the financial sector and banking sector, so there are some card management systems there that we often work with. There are some databases for which we see value in using Db2, so we are working with this solution.

• "it is very stable and runs smoothly once it is deployed and it is almost maintenance-free."
  • "The technical support team is not very good when compared to the efficiency of Oracle's support."
  • "The application development requires a Java developer and not every company has these resources."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate IBM Db2 Database as a seven-out-of-ten. Most of the time recommending Db2 is harder than recommending Oracle because of the situation in our country. Whenever I propose Db2 to a customer, the customer will ask what they need to have to develop applications on Db2. I have to say to them that they need to have a Java developer to work on that. If the customer already has some Oracle databases, this makes introducing Db2 even more difficult because they already have the resources for Oracle development…
JurajHrapko
IT Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Offers a valuable Database Partitioning Feature and has good performance

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for our Db2 database is for OLAP (Online Analytical Processing). Our department is using it for data warehousing and data analysis. We are deploying some of our enterprise systems to Azure. We would like to migrate data there and most of the systems will be running on the infrastructure as a service, so we will have lots of servers. Migrating data from Db2 becomes an important matter. Our target currently is to create the infrastructure which would include the servers, the backup solutions, the databases, application servers and whatever else we need.

• "Very good for performance and scalability."
  • "There could be better integration with some cloud solutions."
  • "The GUI interface is not particularly friendly for those who do not have experience with the product."

What other advice do I have?

I have experience working with both Oracle and Db2. Comparing the two products, I would recommend Db2. Both Oracle and Db2 have some unique features that separate them. Although they are different, in comparing the two databases, they are both enterprise grade databases with lots of good features. But from my point of view, Db2 is much better. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Db2 as an eight. It is not rated higher because I think that there are things that can be improved. It is currently not perfect. The graphical tools are not good. It is…
Learn what your peers think about IBM Db2 Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Basil Ndolo
Product Development Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Futuristic, feature-rich, fast support, and perfect for environments that require scalability

What is our primary use case?

I am an ex IBM employee, and I used to be the brand ambassador for Db2 in Africa. So, I do understand how it works because I've used it with customers. Currently, I am mostly supporting some of the Db2 customers in Kenya. I am now using version 11.1, but I used version 10.5 for the longest time.

• "It has a good feature called pureScale, which is just for scalability. It is a perfect solution for environments where scalability is going to be an issue."
  • "Microsoft SQL Server is comparatively very simple to use. I wish IBM would move towards making Db2 easy to use for both basic and advanced users. This is where I see room for advancement. Db2 is also more expensive than Microsoft SQL Server, and its price can be reduced. The replication feature needs to be there in Db2. Microsoft provides similar functionality in SQL Server. IBM also has similar functionality, but it exists in a different product. So, to have the replication ability, you have to buy a different product. It makes sense to have this functionality within Db2 instead of a different product. It will also be helpful in terms of competition. In Africa, the problem for Db2 is competition. Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL Server have been in this market for a very long time. These companies have built the ecosystem and the brand within this market for a very long time. So, they are very popular with users. Db2 or IBM came a little later in the game, and that's where the problem lies. They also don't do a lot of marketing for it, which is also a problem."

What other advice do I have?

I would love to expand its usage in the future. We are looking to migrate the finance industry customers in Africa to Db2, especially from Oracle to Db2. I would rate Db2 an eight out of ten.
YS
Global Infrastructure service manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good results, robust stability, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for our SAP system.

• "Db2 Database has given us good results since we have started to use it. We predominantly use IBM hardware, and this is one of the reasons why we started to use Db2 Database. Db2 Database has a very good HADR capability. High availability resilience is also good in this solution. It also has pureScale, which allows you to upgrade one node to get very good and high-level resilience. If you are using a database on five nodes, you can take one node down, upgrade that, and let that node up. You can then bring the second node down, upgrade that, and so on."
  • "The only drawback that we see in Db2 Database is the crash recovery. When there is a crash and somebody has to do the recovery, Db2 Database first stops, and then it does any crash recovery. In Oracle Database, crash recovery happens within the database. The database is not shut down."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Db2 Database to others because, as time passed, they have made a lot of changes, such as crash recovery. The time of crash recovery is reduced by almost 60% to 70%. Db2 Database also has Db2 BLU, which actually is in-memory. We have not explored this particular feature, but I would recommend others to explore it. With Db2 BLU, it becomes equivalent to HANA. We are seeing it being used a lot in large banks etc. Among Oracle, Db2, and SQL databases, I would rate Oracle first, Db2 second, and SQL third. I personally believe Oracle is the most robust database. Db2 is the second…
Wira Chinwong
Service Director at scsi co.,ltd
Easy to set up and maintain but lacks backup capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I handle implementation. I install the Db2 Database before I send it to the developer or the application team. Also, sometimes, I have to migrate the database from one platform to another.

• "The solution is easy to install and simple to maintain. The most valuable aspect of the solution is its general user-friendliness for users of all kinds."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution offered backup functionality. Many similar tools already do, which means Db2 is somewhat behind the curve in terms of what a customer might expect from it."

What other advice do I have?

We're currently IBM partners. I use the solution extensively. I'd like other companies to know it's quite easy to set up and maintain. If they are looking for something fairly easy to jump into, this may be it. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
AV
System Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Robust, stable solution with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are not using this with other users, it is dedicated to our backup solution. We only have one instance, one user, one service, and we don't have any other users or clients that we connect to. A database system is a tool used for reporting and to monitor if it is running or if there are any issues. We can set alarms and warnings. It is a backup system that manages the backup.

• "We had a crash of the backup system and the IBM DB2 was always up and consistent. It's robust, and for us, it was always up and running."
  • "The licensing fees can be reduced."

What other advice do I have?

This is a robust and stable product but it's expensive. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
SamirKhodair
Maximo Manager at FLSmidth Operation & Maintenance
Affordable, reliable, and has good performance but the interface needs improvement

• "IBM Db2 was much cheaper as a package than using other products. This is because IBM supplied a package with its product. It's an application. So it was much more efficient and a stronger competitor in that regard."
  • "In terms of improvements, IBM Db2 can improve its interface and its functionality. Also, the embedded functions should be much richer than the current ones - the functions which are embedded in the engine itself."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is to have a good administrator. Have an administrator that is skilled in that field so he can tune the database's performance and understand the know-how of how to administrate that platform. Overall, I would give IBM Db2 a 7 out of 10. For it to be higher, it needs a better interface. It is very important to have. I am very keen to have such an interface.
PK
Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good replication and technical support, but it is complex to set up and configure

What is our primary use case?

Db2 is our primary database for applications in our two data centers. We have a large number of financial transactions that happen every day, and Db2 handles our transaction management.

• "We are dealing with millions of transactions a month and the performance is very good."
  • "It would be helpful to have a hybrid data storage facility that includes NoSQL technologies."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Db2 depends on your environment and needs. If you want to implement an on-premises monolithic application that can handle all of your transaction management then Db2 is a good choice. The technical support is very good, and if you have multiple data centers, the applications are also good. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 10 more IBM Db2 Database Reviews